Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

looking on buying slx and sl

Hey guys,
    I am looking at buying a 95 slx 780 and sl 750 and a 2 ski trailer for $1500. The skis look to be in good shape. I tried them out a couple of months ago and that was the first time they have been ran in about 2 years. The slx ran excellent with good fuel in it and the guy said that it had a new engine put in it before he quit using them. But the sl 750 wouldnt fire off its own fuel but would run for a few seconds when I sprayed starting fluid in the breather. It didnt have fresh fuel in it at the time. Do yall think this is a good buy?

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk !
    DO NOT run it with starting fluid alone.The 2 stroke uses the oil mixed with the gas to lube ALL the moving parts.
    In my opinion,depending on condition and options,each could be worth 2-500 in parts.Trailers=$500 in good shape is a bargain.

The fugi engines(blue) usually need fuel lines/pumps. Make sure the 750 will run,check compression on both (should be pretty even),and I think it's worth the money

thanks for the info. Im new to the whole jet ski thing. I just got the 750 to crank! I got all the old fuel out of the tank and put some new in and it fired right up. it ran kinda ruff for a few minutes but its doing great now. these will be my first skis.

+1
    Very cool. Search the forum for the Fuji fuel system upgrades,it will be worth the money you spend upgrading.Considering their age,the upgrades will prevent future problems which would be very expensive to repair and ruin all the fun. At the very least it will help familiarize your self with the ski's.
    Enjoy !

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by portalpanthers View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am looking at buying a 95 slx 780 and sl 750 and a 2 ski trailer for $1500. The skis look to be in good shape. I tried them out a couple of months ago and that was the first time they have been ran in about 2 years. The slx ran excellent with good fuel in it and the guy said that it had a new engine put in it before he quit using them. But the sl 750 wouldnt fire off its own fuel but would run for a few seconds when I sprayed starting fluid in the breather. It didnt have fresh fuel in it at the time. Do yall think this is a good buy?
    Welcome to the "GREEN HULK" These guys and gals are great on here and the polaris machines are awsome!!!!! Take some time look around the forum. Man they will lend a helping hand and them some. Do not be afraid to ask questions!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by portalpanthers View Post
    thanks for the info. Im new to the whole jet ski thing. I just got the 750 to crank! I got all the old fuel out of the tank and put some new in and it fired right up. it ran kinda ruff for a few minutes but its doing great now. these will be my first skis.
    You weren't running them for minutes at a time out of water were you? Check compression, that should be your deciding factor.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Portal.

These skis are very fun and can be quite reliable. BUT, be expected to do some fuel system reconditioning. This will give you many more years of service. You need to remember these skis are 14 yrs old and prob haven't had much maintainence done.

First check compression as suggested. 120 psi or better is optimal. Anywhere around 100 and up is considered good. You are looking for a reading that is 10% off from the other 2 cyls. For example: 120 front 115 middle and 90 rear, would mean there is something wrong. Worn rings, scratched cyls, etc... That would need repair.

Second, see if you can test ride the skis. A ski will run great on a trailer, but once in the water with a "load" on the engine, it may not run well.

Third, do not run the ski out of the water for more than 10 seconds as engine overheating may occur. You can hook up a garden hose to run it on the trailer, but there are precautions that need to be took for that as well.

If you buy the skis, I will get more detailed about that.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

thanks again for the help. I did end up buying the skis yesterday for $1300. I did test run the slx 780 a couple of months ago and everything went good and worked well. I didnt run the sl 750 because of the fact that it wasnt running good when I hooked it up to the hose before.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Polaris club, and Green Hulk!

You can download the 1992-1998 Polaris Factory Service Manual from here.

Do take the time to do some searching and reading on these forums. There have been many, many excellent posts and threads regarding how best to update, upgrade, and maintain your Polaris. Some of those posts and threads are from years past, but the information is often still valuable and relevant.

The reliability of your Polaris almost entirely depends on how you take care of them.

Assume your machines have NOT been properly cared for, and make the effort to check, clean, repair, and update.

Look for threads discussing the fuel system triple fuel pump upgrade (which is actually the stock 780 fuel pump), Mikuni SBN carburetor rebuilding, and replacing the fuel hoses (including any inside the fuel tank).

You will develop a thorough understanding of how your Polaris PWC was put together, how it works, and what it needs to run well.

Once you get through all that, the ongoing effort to keep them running well is fairly easy. These engines can run for many, many hours between rebuilds, and even the engine rebuilds are not that hard to do (and can be another learning experience).

Also read up on winterizing, even if you don't need to do it. You can learn about the effects of time on the fuel, carburetors and battery.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Congrats, and welcome to the Polaris family!!!

The 780 has a couple improvements over the 750. One being the high output triple fuel pump, and the other being the built-in restrictor into the carb.

I suggest ordering a Mikuni triple outlet fuel pump from John Zigler for $26 for the 750. Then replace the fuel hoses on both skis. 1/4" fuel hose is what you will need, about 16' per ski. When replacing the 750 return hose, there's a small brass restrictor close to the last carb that needs to be reinstalled.

Replace fuel filters in both skis, clean the fuel shut off valves thoroughly in both, and thoroughly clean the carbs in both skis.

Prior to disassembling the carbs, write down the carb adjustments so you can put them back exactly where they were. Count the number of turns IN to a LIGHTLY seated position on the screws. Overtorquing them will damage the needles. Each carb will be different from one another, that's why it's important to write down the specs for each.

Do this and you should have a reliable, fun ski.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information