Thread: Question on oil

Question on oil

I have always used AMSOIL, but on the weekend there was a bike show and LUCAS had a booth. I chatted with the rep and was wondering if anyone here used LUCAS 2 stroke oil in their skis? Its a semi synthetic.

I know people will say is it worth the risk to use something cheaper and save 6 bucks per tank, but if it is a good quality product why not?

The price for AMSOIL up here is getting a bit crazy....

You get what you pay for, a semi synthetic will not give as much protection as a full synthetic.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    You get what you pay for, a semi synthetic will not give as much protection as a full synthetic.
    + 1

Banned User
    penz-oil from walmart.......best for your money

Quote Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
    I have always used AMSOIL, but on the weekend there was a bike show and LUCAS had a booth. I chatted with the rep and was wondering if anyone here used LUCAS 2 stroke oil in their skis? Its a semi synthetic.

I know people will say is it worth the risk to use something cheaper and save 6 bucks per tank, but if it is a good quality product why not?

The price for AMSOIL up here is getting a bit crazy....
    I always been using Klotz r-50 and love it. I dont like the price at 50.00 a gallon, but hey, it works well for me why switch. Try it and you'll never go back. It is a thick oil......becareful on your pvs.

I use Motul 8002T. Its an ester oil which helps reduce sulphur build up and extend the life of catalytic converters. (If you still have one.) I have run it in dirtbikes for over 10 years and my ski has never had anything else. A little more expensive but worth it.

ESTER OIL
    Under normal conditions, oil forms a continuous film between two surfaces. This oil film provides hydrodynamic lubrication as it prevents direct metal-to-metal contact thereby reducing friction.

The ability to maintain a continuous layer of oil between two metal surfaces is an important attribute of an engine oil to provide fluid lubricity. Friction and wear result when this lubricant film is broken under high load conditions. This is where Esters excel in providing boundary lubrication. Ester has the propensity to reduce friction where other base oils fail.

Ester's molecules: consist of Oxygen (O), which has a positive polarity, and Hydrogen (H), which has a negative polarity. These two molecules electrically adsorb onto the metal surfaces and form a layer known as ad molecule film. It is this ad molecule film that makes Esters stand out from other oils (where film is created by viscosity).

The difference is obvious in its lubrication performance when starting the engine. With oils that depend on viscosity for film strength, pressure and oil will drop when the engine stops. When the engine is restarted, the film between the two metals no longer exists and this results to a dry start. Ad molecule film on the other hand, does not rely on viscosity for fluid lubrication. Therefore it is able to continuously lubricate between the two metals even if the engine stops.
    ESTER AS BASE OIL FOR SYNTHETIC OIL
    Before the introduction of Esters, the choice of base oils was based on its ability to control viscosity. It was thought then, that the thicker the oil the better it would be.

By employing Esters as the base for synthetic oil, MOTUL changed the conventional concept of synthetic lubricants. Esters are polar molecules that have the ability to electro-chemically bond with metals, so as to maintain a continuous lubricant film at high or low temperatures.

After experimenting with a variety of Esters, MOTUL selected Complex Esters in 1996 as its latest generation of base oils. Complex Esters have increased adsorption ability thereby making higher performance synthetic oils.

i have been using the lucas in my three skis for two seasons now, with no problems at all, also run it in four snow mobiles, to date every thing is great, but run what your comfortable with everyone has there opinion on this subject & opinions are like a$$ holes everyone has one!

Thread Information