Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wtf happend to all the service manuals

I could swear there where service manuals in the how to and facts section.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    says the sites down and still haven't heard from the guy who hosted the files.

There are still some manuals listed over on PWCToday.com... Ron

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Looks like Lurker is laying low (no pun intended). Looks like someone got after him and his site for posting the manuals online because they are copyrighted material. He hasn't posted on here since early Oct. when his site was hit with a DOS attack. He still logs in here regularly. Would be interesting to hear some of the back channel stuff to find out the deal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopski View Post
    I could swear there where service manuals in the how to and facts section.

http://seadoomanuals.net/

It stops at 2001.......... I am gonna have to post bail for my buddy "Lurker"

Hey Guys,

I kinda went into a hibernation mode..lol, I hate winters and being on these forums makes it that much worse.

I asked one of the moderators to remove the sticky, or post an update in that thread but it hasn't been done yet.

Here is the skinny on what happened to the site...

I need to find a new web host. The site is actually still there just locked down and there isn't a thing I can do about it. Here is the PM I've been sending to those who have asked:

............My website host shut my site down after I had abnormal bandwidth usage. It was somewhere around 100GB per month, I think it spiked to around 150 when they shut it down.

Anywho, I went around and around with my server. First they told me someone had hacked into my account, then they told me I was consuming too many resources, finally when none of those excuses held any water they told me I was shut down due to the DMCA and in order to have my account unlocked I would need to get letters from each and every manufacturer stating that I have permission to distribute their work for free. Well you and I both know I was more than likely crossing the line as far as legalities are concerned so I didn't even bother in contacting any of the pwc makers.............

You guys should get those other manuals while you still can (seadoomanuals.net) because at some point it will come down, just a matter of when.

I want to bring my site back at some point, but right now it isn't possible.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Lurker, was this some kind of discount server service? Were you getting any kind of statistics from them? Wondering if this was a malicious attack to bring your service down? That is a huge amount of bandwidth for just the service manuals.

This was a great idea that benefits everyone and there is no need for you to fit the bill by yourself. There has to be a solution that will help everyone out.

It was a cheap plan on a shared server. I was slowing down other sites that were on my shared server

I was wrong it topped around 100GB in a month. The thing was that many sites around the world were linking to my site. I was getting hits from all over the place. What I think caused my host to notice me was that someone was hammering the site, it kind of looked like they were copying the entire site, that was requesting multiple files at once, or they could have been trying a DOS attack. Whatever whoever was doing caused my host to shut down the site in the middle of the "attack"

The two biggest referring sites were this one and http://www.aquariders.net/ It was very popular.

I know most of the files are out there on the internet but they are at places like MediaFire, it's just kind of an "underground" thing now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information