oil block off kit

hey is it a good idea to install an oil block off kit so I can mix my own fuel on my slx 780 and sl 750? Is it hard to install?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Polaris oil pumps are actually quite reliable, as long as the system is maintained. Some other brands had issues with oil pump failures, but they seem to be quite rare with Polaris.

Replace the oil hoses every few years, and check/lubricate the cable/linkage that controls the pump flow rate.

Replace the oil filter annually.

Visually inspect the oil lines and pump arm motion frequently. This takes only a moment, and you should be looking under the seat and around the engine compartment before every ride anyway.

It is a matter of personal preference, and has been discussed in other threads in the past.

Some feel more comfortable pre-mixing the oil into the fuel, and not having the oil pump. I prefer the simplicity of re-fueling with just gasoline (89 octane or better), and not having to carry and mix oil every time I refuel.

The variable flow rate oil pump also reduces the overall oil consumption to about half of what pre-mixing requires. At full throttle, the oil ratio is the same as pre-mix, but at lower RPM, the oil flow is cut back to a lower oil ratio, as the engine doesn't need as much oil.

Pre-mixing will burn about twice the oil overall, and will produce more exhaust smoke and emissions at idle and low-mid engine speeds.

The oil pumps also have a fail safe mode. If the control arm cable breaks, the pump arm is spring loaded and falls back farther than normal. This causes the oil flow to go to 100%, essentially the same as pre-mix ratio. This protects the engine.

The oil tank holds enough oil to last for multiple tankfuls of gasoline. It really just sips the oil.

thanks, all the lines look good on both skis, that was the first thing i checked before I bought them yesterday. the sl needs new reeds though

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by portalpanthers View Post
    ...all the lines look good on both skis, that was the first thing i checked before I bought them yesterday...
    Even if the oil lines LOOK good, you should consider replacing them. They get brittle with time, especially at the ends and under the clamps, and can crack unexpectedly while the engine is running and creating vibration.

If they are original, they are well over ten years old.

I would have to agree with K, very reliable, but you need to take some percations.

Thread Information