Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i think I need some guidance...

I want to upgrade my ski, an 06 gpr. I have been doing alot of research into companies and aftermarket accessories, but I am not sure what my products my ski will benefit from. I have been using other skis for ages, and decided to buy my own before they banned 2 strokes. I am also not sure as to what order to buy the upgrades to be most beneficial. I am looking at the solas 14/20 DF. I dont know if I need to replace the entire housing to accomodate for the solas, or if I need to do other modifications prior to the impeller to get better enhanced performance. I plan on one or two upgrades per month to get my ski up to speed. I am not new to waverunners, but have never modified my own. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I accept the fact that I am a total noob when it comes to these enhancements, but Im not interested in flame posts, Im really just trying to learn as much as I can about this ski, and do the upgrades right.

thanks,
    donnie

+1
    first of all - welcome to the forum!!

you will be fine using the stuffers, but it's not manditory to have them to see gains. It would be a pain to get them in because you have a fuel injected boat and you would have to take everything off to get to the reeds.

Since you have an 06 boat - you already have an upgraded pump that will house a 14/20 but you need to be sure that it's a DYNAFLY 14/20 and NOT a CONCORD 14/20 because the diameter of the concord pumps is different than the 2005's and 2006's.

Your single greatest performance enhancement (being that you have a stock boat with nothing done to it) would be an aftermarket ride plate cut by Jim in Tampa. That is a simple bolt-on product but does require some grinding of the pump underneith so that the angle of the plate will fit.

Along with that - a "Pump Seal Kit" is a good add-on and so is a 1200 two-bar aftermarket intake grate.

With the 2005's and 2006 boats (GPR's), it is very easy to break the 70 mph barrier without ever lifting the seat. It can be done with simple hull modifications.

Jerry has an on-line store here at www.4-tecperformance.com for these products (minus the plate modification) and you can also purchase items from www.rd-performance.com as well (minus the plate modification).

For the ride plate - you can contact Jim's Performance PWC located in Tampa - his number is 727-786-6010. Jim sells the ride plates and also does the modifications right there in house at his shop. Call for pricing

So, I recommend that the first mods to your boat to be:

1) Pump Seal Kit
    2) 1200 2-bar Intake grate
    3) Solas DYNAFLY 14/20 Pitch Prop
    4) Jim's Rideplate (This is a modified R&D Rideplate)

In the future when your addicted to what the above list gives you and you find yourself wanting more. These are some of the things that you can look into.

1) EFI controller (Re-maps your fuel curve)
    2) Engine Porting (Includes Upper case / Cylinder / and exhaust porting) There are several good porters out there Including Lowell in Montana (his website is http://www.2-stroke-porting.com) and there is also TJ in the Miami area.
    3) you could eventually go bigger bore (bigger pistons) as well.
    4) aftermarket reeds
    5) Just remember that with every modification that you do that adds performance ---it will also affect many other areas of the boat tuning. Plus this can get mightly costly as well. You also lose your yamaha warrany if you do anything to the engine that is different from factory specs.

But 70 is darn fast for just the first mods that i listed, and you can get there relatively easy. If that is not fast enough for you - there is tons of help here that can get you there.

There is not any one vendor that you have to go to for your products - there are several choices out there to buy things from so feel free to shop around and do what is comfortable to you and what is also in your price range as well. I personally like the online store that is associated with this website and if you do get anything there - remember to type in "Greenhulk" as the coupon code and that will save you some $$$ too.

Welcome to the forum - there are no dumb questions here - we are all here to help you.

+1
    yep..what abbott said...

+1
    Abbott is right on about the prop, plate and grate. If you didnt want to go too far with the engine mods, start with a D-plate to reduce under seat temps, and the cat temp sensor chip. The GPR is always looking for more air, so the Race Filter would also be a good buy. Unfortunately along with the engine mods, you will need the EFI controller to correct the fuel needs.

Good luck and Welcome !!!

+1
    I see you were also asking about stuffers in the other post. Most guys here have run them at one time or another.
    They will work and give you gains on the EFI boats, but not as much as a good set of reeds. The tested and proven Moto Tassanari VF-3 reeds and custom adapter plate will give you very noticible gains on an EFI boat. But you do have a factory warranty to deal with.

+1
    oh shit - sorry!!! I forgot about the d-plate. Good mod to do for about 70 bucks or so.

This replaces the Cat Converter that comes stock on your boat and will reduce the temps under the seat like WFO said. You would need to get a cat-sensor bypass chip if you did that so that you can keep the dashboard alarms from going haywire. The chip is about 15 bucks.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum Donnie !!

You will find lots of help here and dozens of watercraft enthusiasts to help answer your questions.

~ditto on Abbott's recommendation

wow guys... not the responses I was anticipating... its a relief. I was expecting a bunch of snide comments about reading a book or something (the comments I usually see on other forums I am an active member of)... thanks for the info... it will really help me with my hop ups. I cant wait to get started on my project 06 gpr...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dogger
    wow guys... not the responses I was anticipating... its a relief. I was expecting a bunch of snide comments about reading a book or something (the comments I usually see on other forums I am an active member of)... thanks for the info... it will really help me with my hop ups. I cant wait to get started on my project 06 gpr...
    You are on 1 of 2 of the best sites on line............
    1. good people
    2.good people with knowledge
    3.good people with knowledge that share info
    4. the other site is the 4 tech side.

+1
    and we cant wait till you get started..so keep all of us informed...and remember if you get the fast jims plate be sure and replace the intake grate so you wont do what i did....that would be a sudden left turn when chopping the throttle at about 70ish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information