Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha vs. SeaDoo Vs. Honda

Hello, I currently have a 2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser, and a 2002 SeaDoo GTI. Both good PWCs, came across a brand new left over 2006 Honda Aquatrax F12X for 8,000. I was told this machine was about 10,500 in 2006. 800 for an additional 3 year warantee to make it 4 years total.

Need advice. How does the Honda compare to new Yamahas and new Seadoos? Is this a good price? I don't see a lot of Hondas around, it looks like a kick ass machine and I'm assuming its as reliable as other Honda products.......just a little nervous because I don't see many Hondas around. Any problems anyone can think of about a machine sitting around for two years in a crate? Any advice is greatly appreciated from a Yamaha perspective.

Thank You,
    Ed

+1
    Honda makes a good PWC. The F-12X runs 58-60 stock which is faster than the two machines you currently have. They have good midrange but do suffer from turbo lag out of the hole.

+1
    Price seems a bit high...considering the NADA trade in value of an 08 SHO is 6-7K.

Glad I stumbled onto this forum. It's GREAT. Motorcycle forums have proven very useful to me and I hope the same will be the case here as I try to figure out the purchase of my first ski!!
    I have also looked at a 2006 F12X. I agree it looks really nice. Price as marked here in MN is $7495 plus all the other standard charges. I'd think there could be some further discussion to chew that down -- deal on the trailer, etc.
    I'm a "Yamaha guy" from a motorcycle perspective, so I'm inclined to lean that way in the PWC market.
    In comparing, what I like about the Honda is the reverse on the left, gel-coat as opposed to the nano-whatever hull and Honda's reliability (although Yamaha has never let me down). I like the weight benefit of the nano, but gelcoat is much more repairable than painted plastic.
    Main concern with the Honda is the turbo lag, especially while trying to pull a boarder at a constant speed. I was told by the salesman it is a non-issue, but reviews of honda's new F15X cite the improvement in this model over the F12X re: turbo lag.
    I don't actually OWN any ski, yet, so I'm certainly no expert. This is my $.02 base on my own early research.
    Again... awesome forum!!

Tbird, where do you plan to use the ski? I enjoy the F12X. It's a really fun ski. My uncle owns one and I have spent a good amount of time on it. But I would not recommend it for coastal use. The turbo versions tend to have saltwater reliability problems and the hull is not set up for waves/chop/rough water. Rough, jarring, and wet ride on that flat hull. Also, some people have mentioned turbo lag. Honda owners love to debate this, but I find the lag extremely annoying compared to my two normally aspirated skis. After the turbo kicks though, great ride. If you're using the ski on a calm lake, by all means consider the Honda. The hull is a lot of fun on flat water. You will run into no issues from a left-over ski. Honda has a ton of them. I would fight for a better price though, especially considering you could buy a brand-new '09 Kawi 15F for $400 more (retail).

i was planning on using the ski 50% small lake and 50% in Long Island sound, Coast off CT and RI........will dealers typically tend to move on the price, 7999 was a boat show special.

Quote Originally Posted by TBirdEd76 View Post
    i was planning on using the ski 50% small lake and 50% in Long Island sound, Coast off CT and RI........will dealers typically tend to move on the price, 7999 was a boat show special.
    He has been sitting on that ski for 3 years, he will move on the price or sit on it another year

+1
    Offer him 5 grand

They were selling for low $6's a year ago in MN.

Top speed stock seemed to be around ~62/63 mph.

Friend has two, one purchased at the above price, and both have been
    extremely reliable. One has over 200 hours and no problems. The GP1300R
    handles rough water better.

Prop and intake grate switch had positive impact on performance.

if i can talk the dealer down a little from 8gs, do you think its worth it? looks like a high quality machine, honda understandably realiable, but my biggest concern is ocean handling, not racing performance, but am i going to have to go to the chiropractor after being in Long Island Sound after three hours?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information