XLL 1200 Cavitation & 760 bogging

Hi all - I have 2 skis that I am going to be getting ready for spring soon.

1) 2000 XLL1200 - I have some serious cavitation problems. It is all stock, except waveeater clips, d-plate/chip and new intage grate and ppk. I put a ppk in last summer, but the cavitation is still terrible. I have to take the ride plate and intake grate off anyway to replace the spinning thread caps. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this cavitation. It is not just a little, the skis just sits there for a second at full throttle before going forward from a stop.

2) 99 GP760 - The ski started to bog a bit at full throttle, especially when I hit waves. I just let off the throttle then back on and it took off fine. carbs? No other problems.

Thanks in advance!!

the xl have you verified the impeller to wear ring clearance isn't excessive? and how's the impeller itself?
    The 760 When was the last time the carbs were gone thru?

1) No I have not verified the wear ring and impeller clearance. I have looked at it, but how can I tell if it is excessive? Impeller is stock andit does not look too bad but there are about 100 hrs. on it. Suggestions?

2) I just bought the skis last year, and I did not clean the carbs so I honestly do no know how long it has been.

I would do the carbs on the 760 / You can start with a cleaning and inspection , I can send u some online links
    The impeller clearance is in the manual I can look it up Or send u the pdf version but I think your issue is in the impeller you can always pay Impros 45$ to refurb it if it looks bad and wear rings are replaceable as a whole
    you may want to consider inspecting the xl carbs also

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I would do the carbs on the 760 / You can start with a cleaning and inspection , I can send u some online links
    The impeller clearance is in the manual I can look it up Or send u the pdf version but I think your issue is in the impeller you can always pay Impros 45$ to refurb it if it looks bad and wear rings are replaceable as a whole
    you may want to consider inspecting the xl carbs also
    + 1 on the XLL carbs, and it is probably in your impeller or wear ring...

OK I will be attempting to clean the carbs on both skis in the spring. I am a bit nervous but we will see how it goes. I will also replace the wear ring, thread caps and impeller. Ski is basically stock and I do not plan on any performance parts this year (money is tight). What would you guys recommend with the impeller?? Recondition or replace? If replace, which one and what pitch? I have seen solas impellers but they are $200+ (a bit steep right now) Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kaarona1 View Post
    OK I will be attempting to clean the carbs on both skis in the spring. I am a bit nervous but we will see how it goes. I will also replace the wear ring, thread caps and impeller. Ski is basically stock and I do not plan on any performance parts this year (money is tight). What would you guys recommend with the impeller?? Recondition or replace? If replace, which one and what pitch? I have seen solas impellers but they are $200+ (a bit steep right now) Thanks again.
    Your wear ring may be fine! Google Impros and save your money! let john refurb your old one , you will be amazed !

I would just replace the impeller. Had a GP1200 cavitating. Wear ring is probably good. I would start by replacing impeller. My impeller looked fine to. So, might not be able to see anything wrong. Buy a new one or get yours refurbished. Don't take chances on getting a used one and something wrong with it to.

+1
    here are some suggestions for the XXL1200

add an aftermaket grate

get a Solas Concord 12/18 impeller, if you can find a used one in good condition it should be fine, if it is damaged it will be readily apparent if you visually inspect it

check wear ring for damage, if you remove it and visually inspect it, it will be readily apparent if it is damaged

and if you haven't already, seal up the shoe to the hull / transom with 3M 5200 sealant (do a search on sealing up pump shoe in the "how to section"

adding a pump shoe seal kit will help

Thread Information