Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another No Spark Issue SLH 700

New to the PWC world, thought I get a project by buying a 1999 Polaris SLH 700 with a blown engine. Ended up getting screwed by Catchawavejetski out of Florida. They never sent my engine back. After buying two engines locally (submerged), made one workable out of them, but now I have no spark. I've been reading about a upgrade stator with CDI anyone know where I could get ahold of one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Service manuals can be found here.

Ignition Upgrade Kits are available from Babbitts, Watcom, Partsland, BikeBandit, and possibly Jay (4strokepolaristech).

I don't think Bikeman does OEM Polaris parts.

As of March 2003, the update kit for 1998-1999 twin cylinder engines was part number 2873022, but that may have been superseded. If you order this part number, you should automatically get the newest version of the kit, even if it has a different number.

Keep in mind that once the update kit is installed, you must use the information in the 2000 and newer service manuals when diagnosing the ignition system.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.
    Sorry to hear of your engine troubles.
    Many of these ignition systems have been updated.It is very important to at least do the stator resistance test to determine if you have an updated stator (new and old measure completely different) The CDI' are also specific,old cdi will only work with an old style stator.Check the "Domestic ignition" post,it has all the updated part #'s to figure out what you have.
    Make sure you actually need a new stator.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I think 99 should be new style, can't see what ya got from here. someone could have gone backwards

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be trouble shooting this weekend to check out the stator per the manual. By the way thanks for the links. When they say upgrade kit - is that imply the stator, CDI and coil.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris 700cc View Post
    ...upgrade kit - is that imply the stator, CDI and coil...
    Polaris ignition upgrade kits always include the stator and CDI. If the ignition coils also need upgrading, they are included. For the two cylinder engines, I think the coils are included in the upgrade kit, as are two new plug wires.

The general recommendation around here is when either the stator or the CDI of the 'original, old style' needs replacing, that it makes more sense to buy and install the upgrade kit, rather than just replacing the old failed part with another old part (which will eventually also fail).

The upgrade kit parts are much more reliable, so you only need to fix it once.

And it is not a good idea to mix old and new parts - CDI and stator must be of the same type - either old or updated.

Figure out of you have the original CDI and stator, or the newer stuff, and go from there. Look for the part number on your CDI, that should tell you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris PVL Update Kits (1997-1999)_001.jpg 
Views:	893 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	114886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris PVL Update Kits1_001.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	114887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris PVL Update Kits2_001.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	114888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris PVL Update Kits3_001.jpg 
Views:	837 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	114889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1999 Polaris SLTH two-cylinder updated electrical stator.JPG 
Views:	419 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	114890  

Thanks, trouble shot the electrical system and narrowed it down the the stator. Found the upgrade kit on Partsland. It comes with everything I need. Thanks again for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris 700cc View Post
    Thanks, trouble shot the electrical system and narrowed it down the the stator. Found the upgrade kit on Partsland. It comes with everything I need.

Thanks again for your help.
    Let us know how it goes.

If you can post some photos of what the current update kit looks like, and what parts and part numbers are included, that might be helpful for others.

And after you have it running properly, don't be a stranger around here. Come visit, and perhaps connect with others for a ride, or help another member along when you can.

Stop Obama Express
    I too was screwed by Douglas Ward and Christy Williams from catchawave and Ill be going there March 4th to file lawsuit and criminal charges. I recommend doing the same.

Well, got my parts for the stator electrical upgrade kit form partsland - Bruce is a very helpful guy. I hooked everything up. It was a little confusing on the ground wire going to the electrical board. The instructions tells me to cut the wire going to the electrical board, but on mine yes I have the ground from the battery to the board and the wire splits coming from the same wire to a grounding post. So, I cut the wire going to the board and the engine starts but I have nothing else the MFD, trim, bilage pump, or the stop switch. I can reconnect the ground back to the board and everything works again but the MFD stays on the whole time. the instructions say if i leave the ground connected it may cause premature firing of the stator. Very confusing, called Bruce at partsland and he is not sure what is going on. Any suggestions on this one. By the way I connected the ground from the circuit board to the grounding post in the electrical box the same grounding post that I connected the grounds for the stator and CDI, The ground from the battery was cut in the scenerio. Now, the Stator ground and the CDI ground were both round eye connectors that is why I connected them to the grounding post. Any help would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information