+1

Screw the Bahamas!!!

You know I have only been to the Bahamas once, I spent a week there several years ago and I was disgusted with the way the place was ran and the way we were treated by the locals. Now I see that a Bahamian Senator named Bridgewater and one of the medical technicians have been charged with conspiracy to EXTORT $25 MILLION from the Travolta family after the death of their 16-year-old son. I'm no big fan of the hollywood elite, but give me a break---they just lost their son, and it makes me want to never go back to the Bahamas. Sorry for the rant, but my advice to anyone thinking of vacationing in the Bahamas: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!
    More here:
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...john-travolta/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ons-death.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    You know I have only been to the Bahamas once, I spent a week there several years ago and I was disgusted with the way the place was ran and the way we were treated by the locals. Now I see that a Bahamian Senator named Bridgewater and one of the medical technicians have been charged with conspiracy to EXTORT $25 MILLION from the Travolta family after the death of their 16-year-old son. I'm no big fan of the hollywood elite, but give me a break---they just lost their son, and it makes me want to never go back to the Bahamas. Sorry for the rant, but my advice to anyone thinking of vacationing in the Bahamas: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!
    More here:
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...john-travolta/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ons-death.html
    I agree with you 110 percent on this. Seems everytime you turn around there is some leach trying to get money from people like Travolta. People with money really have to watch their back. Silly lawsuits are a big problem as well. I support you here Yo. I dont look to be making it to the Bahamas anytime soon anyway

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    This is any country that is not as well to do as the U.S. Take Panama for instance, the richest Central American country. Everybody there has a scam or an angle they work on you. Especially the politicians and police. I paid police officers about $800 the year I was there to leave me alone. Mainly got stopped while driving and was threatened to have my car towed or taken to immigration because I broke some traffic law or my passport was false or whatever they could make up. It was easier to hand them $20 then be hassled for hours or be written a $5 ticket that took several hours to go pay. Gave the Director of Immigration a duffel bag with $20,000 in $20's one night in a mall parking lot, oh the stories I can tell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    This is any country that is not as well to do as the U.S. Take Panama for instance, the richest Central American country. Everybody there has a scam or an angle they work on you. Especially the politicians and police. I paid police officers about $800 the year I was there to leave me alone. Mainly got stopped while driving and was threatened to have my car towed or taken to immigration because I broke some traffic law or my passport was false or whatever they could make up. It was easier to hand them $20 then be hassled for hours or be written a $5 ticket that took several hours to go pay. Gave the Director of Immigration a duffel bag with $20,000 in $20's one night in a mall parking lot, oh the stories I can tell.
    $20,000 in a duffel bag...
    You're right, corruption is overflowing into the streets down there.
    I can tell you I have traveled to many other countries but I can't remember getting treated so badly as we were in the Bahamas, the people there were just nasty and rude. Even down in Cabo San Lucas, which I'm sure has its share of Mexican corruption, the people were nice and when my brother dropped his wallet in the restroom, the worker found it and brought it to him with 300 cash still inside. The diving from our boat was nice in the Bahamas, but I don't ever want to go back to the towns. I think they wanted 7.00 for a Whopper at the Burger King...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    We got out cheap for $20,000. It was for 40 licenses. We had heard that other companies were paying $1,000-2,000 per for this license. We only wanted 20 but for the bargain we were getting them at we got 40. The licenses are $100 per and the rest was an "expediting fee".

The lady in charge of Housing there has to personally sign of on all new construction in the country and there was an article about her having millions in the bank and the only job she has had in her whole life was politics. Politicians do not make a lot of money. If you wanted to start a new high rise apartment building there you had to meet with her to get the permits to begin, guess she has an "expediting fee" also.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    We got out cheap for $20,000. It was for 40 licenses. We had heard that other companies were paying $1,000-2,000 per for this license. We only wanted 20 but for the bargain we were getting them at we got 40. The licenses are $100 per and the rest was an "expediting fee".

The lady in charge of Housing there has to personally sign of on all new construction in the country and there was an article about her having millions in the bank and the only job she has had in her whole life was politics. Politicians do not make a lot of money. If you wanted to start a new high rise apartment building there you had to meet with her to get the permits to begin, guess she has an "expediting fee" also.
    What kind of licenses are these?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FWI View Post
    What kind of licenses are these?
    Probably driver's licenses or business licenses

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    You're right, corruption is overflowing into the streets down there.
    I can tell you I have traveled to many other countries but I can't remember getting treated so badly as we were in the Bahamas, the people there were just nasty and rude. Even down in Cabo San Lucas, which I'm sure has its share of Mexican corruption, the people were nice and when my brother dropped his wallet in the restroom, the worker found it and brought it to him with 300 cash still inside. The diving from our boat was nice in the Bahamas, but I don't ever want to go back to the towns. I think they wanted 7.00 for a Whopper at the Burger King...
    Been to the Bahamas, twice

Jamaica is worse

Thread Information