Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

4-Tec Gauge Inputs

Anyone know what the water temp and spedo inputs to the gauge are voltage or milliamps?? and what is the range. Any info would be helpful.

+1

For the temp sensor anyway, Its resistance, ohms, but I don't have any reference values yet. I'm working on the same thing, well, interested in the same thing. I'll look into it some more, I have a speedo I've already sacrificed for this purpose. Would prefer to use that temp gauge on the display for some other temp readings, right or wire the speedo to my gps would be nice to. being that's a magnetic wheel, its probably an on/off pulse if I had to guess. The temp sensor should be easy, they speedo, more difficult.

+1
    I have the ohm values for the temp sensor in the speedo housing at home. I can see if I can find them and get them to you if you want Steve. If you are thinking about using the display to read coolant temp, it wont work. The display only reads to 99 degrees. I have been looking for someone that can send me an air temp sensor to try it next.

+1
    I am interested in the input to the gauge after the MPEM. The MPEM converts any signal to some value??? I am looking to add the LM-1 output and or boost to the gauge weather it is the speedo or the water temp. Yes MPH is a pulse and temp is resistance. I need the converted value after the MPEM. Or is it converted inside the gauge itself???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    I have the ohm values for the temp sensor in the speedo housing at home. I can see if I can find them and get them to you if you want Steve. If you are thinking about using the display to read coolant temp, it wont work. The display only reads to 99 degrees. I have been looking for someone that can send me an air temp sensor to try it next.
    I was looking into that as well. One thing I was wondering is if you change the display to deg C will it still read 99 max?? If that is the case then it may be useful as coolant temp.

This is from the '03 manual:

To check if the speed sensor is operational, disconnect the speed sensor connector housing from inside bilge. Using an appropriate terminal remover (Snap-on TT600-4), remove the PURPLE/YELLOW and BLACK/ORANGE wires from the tab housing of the speed sensor. Reconnect the PURPLE/YELLOW and BLACK/ORANGE wires in the receptacle housing.
    Connect the positive probe of a multimeter to speed sensor PURPLE/YELLOW wire and the negative probe to speed sensor BLACK/ORANGE wire. Slowly rotate the paddle wheel. Every 1/8 turn, the
    observed voltage should fluctuate between 5.5 and 8.5 Vdc.

Attached are the Lake Temp resistance tables.

BK-OR = Pin 2-4
    PU-YL = Pin 2-12
    TA-OR = Pin 2-13

Hope this helps... Ron

Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post

BK-OR = Pin 2-4
    PU-YL = Pin 2-12
    TA-OR = Pin 2-13

Hope this helps... Ron

I guess I should have asked. I did all of my experimenting after the manuals were removed from the forum. Do you have the values for the air temp sensor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    I am interested in the input to the gauge after the MPEM. The MPEM converts any signal to some value??? I am looking to add the LM-1 output and or boost to the gauge weather it is the speedo or the water temp. Yes MPH is a pulse and temp is resistance. I need the converted value after the MPEM. Or is it converted inside the gauge itself???
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    This is from the '03 manual:

To check if the speed sensor is operational, disconnect the speed sensor connector housing from inside bilge. Using an appropriate terminal remover (Snap-on TT600-4), remove the PURPLE/YELLOW and BLACK/ORANGE wires from the tab housing of the speed sensor. Reconnect the PURPLE/YELLOW and BLACK/ORANGE wires in the receptacle housing.
    Connect the positive probe of a multimeter to speed sensor PURPLE/YELLOW wire and the negative probe to speed sensor BLACK/ORANGE wire. Slowly rotate the paddle wheel. Every 1/8 turn, the
    observed voltage should fluctuate between 5.5 and 8.5 Vdc.

BK-OR = Pin 2-4
    PU-YL = Pin 2-12
    TA-OR = Pin 2-13

Hope this helps... Ron

Thanks Ron good stuff..

I am looking more for the input to the gauge after it is converted to a voltage reading. If the MPEM does the conversion or does the gauge do the conversion?

The inputs are right into the MPEM as the attachment shows on the lower left... Ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information