Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GirdledHardware for Riva cast heads..need some help!

Well i have the kit and i have a few questions.

What do i torque the hex head bolts to?

Also what do i torque the adapter type pieces to? The stock torque setting for the jug bolts?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Jon

+1
    I use the factory specs on all the bolts except for the four outer bolts on each head. I put them at 15 ft lbs. Loctite the studs to the case and use anti-sieze on the rest.

For the 03 1300 I believe the girdle nuts (x-overs) are 28 ft. lbs. One at a time until all done. The Riva girdle bolts are 11 ft. lbs followed by 18 ft. lbs. The Riva head bolts are 17 then 22 ft. lbs.
    This is for head/hardware kit part no. RY 100313.

+1

+1
    what WFO said. be extreamly careful not to overtorque the riva heads on the outer portions. Stock facory torque on all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT
    what WFO said. be extreamly careful not to overtorque the riva heads on the outer portions. Stock facory torque on all the rest.
    Are you using stock factory torque on the Riva bolts???? Thats quite a bit more than recommended by Riva!!?? I understand that if you are using factory bolts.

+1
    i would absolutly do that because the threads (in the jugs) are designed for 25 ft. lbs. no matter what head is on there. 25 ft lbs is the torque from yamaha that is set in stone to prevent water intrusion regarless of the head.

Riva probably doesn't want their heads coming back to them in pieces so the tourqe is "lightened" up a bit. That is the main reason many just stick to the stock heads because they are hard to beat in strength.

Riva probably doesn't want their heads coming back to them in pieces so the tourqe is "lightened" up a bit. That is the main reason many just stick to the stock heads because they are hard to beat in strength.
    Well hell, if Riva is scared of 25 ft lbs on their head, I know I would be.
    Similarly, why would you put 3 lbs more torque than recommended on one Riva bolt (head) and 3 lbs less on another Riva bolt (girdle). Are you worried about the nuts cracking? I thought that was resolved.

Also, I haven't heard of any of the cast heads breaking up before. How often has this happened?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by howestek
    Well hell, if Riva is scared of 25 ft lbs on their head, I know I would be.
    Similarly, why would you put 3 lbs more torque than recommended on one Riva bolt (head) and 3 lbs less on another Riva bolt (girdle). Are you worried about the nuts cracking? I thought that was resolved.
    You know that is a good question because this issue hasn't come up in a long time, so i am thinking that all these things have been resloved somewhat.
    There are a few that don't even run the girdle kits, but then again i have seen a picture of one that cracked on the outside (due to overtorqing). I guess i am just real nervous about these heads - they used to leak water too in the past but havn't heard of anyhting happening lately, so I might just be over reacting about all of this------and if these things are not issues anymore, then i sincerely apologize for the incorrect info.

Has anyone else out there watching this thread had any issues with these heads???

+1
    Let me clarify my first statement. I use OEM headbolts on my aftermarket heads. I used all the Riva supplied bolts (SS) the first time I torqued them. The outer bolts really arent necessary, unless you are running in excess of 160 psi IMO. The key here is to torque all the head bolts the same. Except for the outer bolts of course.

Hell, most of our torque wrenches may be off calibration 2-3 ft lbs anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information