Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Keep the thermostat and pop-off?

I pulled my cooling rail because it looks so shabby; I'm going to paint it. But I'm wondering, do most people keep the thermostat and cooling system pop-off valve, items 10 and 11? In the older skis people suggest removing these things. What about in a 2004 MSX140?

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0153.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	115017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pwc04msx140coolingsystem.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	115018  

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

keep it

you have to keep it,the emm relies on the engine being at a certain water temp which is done using a t-stat,the msx water bar is specific for that setup as well,no swapping or turning it around.red would look cool

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    red would look cool
    You're reading my mind! Got a can of Eastwood's Bright Red powdercoat I'm itching to try!

msx 140 t-stat and plunger

I have an 03 msx 140. I TOOK THE THERMOSTAT AND PLUNGER OUT TWO YEARS AGO AND I HAVE NOT HAD AN ISSUE OF ANY KIND. I PERSONALLY FEEL SAFER NOT HAVING IT IN THERE! I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL TWO STROKE WATERCRAFT OVER THE YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN A THERMOSTAT UNTIL I BOUGHT THIS POLARIS. THE LOGIC SEEMS TO BE IT IS THERE FOR REALLY COLD WATER? I USED TO SOMETIMES RIDE IN THE LATE FALL AND EARLY SPRING WHEN THE WATER IS STILL VERY COLD. I AM AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF A SO CALLED COLD WATER SEISURE. IF I RIDE IN COLD WATER I JUST IDLE AROUND FOR SEVERAL MIN. TO LET EVERYTHING GET GOOD AND WARMED UP. I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HAD A SO CALLED COLD WATER SEISURE. ANYWAY MY 2 CENTS. I REALLY LIKE MY 140 BEEN A GOOD SKI SO FAR!!1

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

t-stat

on the msx its not a seizure issue,fi requires an engine to be at a minimum temp for proper combustion.the pop off spring is shimmed and it barely,if ever,opens.the emm is expecting the engine to BE at a certain temp.the emm has its own water supply so it knows what the lake temp is

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Wouldn't running with out a themo. make the ski thing it's colder and then run richer,running fat would take away performance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Wouldn't running with out a themo make the ski think it's colder...
    From what I know, the Ficht EMM does not have a sensor for the engine temp, or engine coolant temp, just intake air temperature.

The EMM does have an internal water temp sensor, so it sees the water temp coming through the EMM from the flywheel/stator cover, but that water flow is not directly affected by the engine water jacket temperatures.

There is an overheat sensor on the exhaust, but I think that is on/off only.

So the EMM assumes the engine operating temperature is being controlled by the thermostat to a nominal level, and adjusts fuel delivery by watching the intake air temp, throttle position (TPS), and engine RPM.

I will admit that my experience with the fitch system is limited. I am not aware of any sensor that checks the lake water temp. That goes directly to the emm. The hose that goes to the emm comes from the flywheel cover and then out to the exhaust outlet and into the lake. While i have not hooked up a temp gauge to check the water temp on the hose that goes to the emm. I do know that because of the fitch electronics inside the flywheel cover do generate alot of heat. So iam going to assume that the water in that line is pretty warm?i think the water line to the emm is there to keep the emm itself from getting to hot and doing damage to the unit. I can't see how the thermostat has any influence on that? I am with k447 the emm monitors the air temp and the exhaust water temp and adjust accordingly. Delagem asked a question about the t-stat and plunger removal my experience so far with out it has been fine!!

To answer keddano's question. While i am not using a gps or a radar gun or a tiny tach to monitor my 140's performance. I am relying on the factory speedo and tach. Iknow they are not real accurate. I am totally on my own where i live in regards to working on my polaris. Nobody here will touch that fitch system. So any time i tinker i try to keep detailed records. I keep a journal of the weather that day, temp,wind etc. I make several runs and write the speed and tach numbers down. I take plug readings. Anyway to answer your question about my 140 running rich without the t-stat and plunger. I cannot tell any difference in the way it runs. Has been a very reliable ski so far!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by boosis View Post
    ...I keep a journal of the weather that day, temp,wind etc. I make several runs and write the speed and tach numbers down. I take plug readings.

Anyway to answer your question about my 140 running rich without the t-stat and plunger. I cannot tell any difference in the way it runs...
    What are the typical water temperatures you ride in?

What changes have you found that do make a performance difference with your MSX 140?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information