Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you get the drive shaft out? GTX

I cant get the drive shaft out my gtx, I made a tool to hold the drive shaft from moveing out but when I try to slide back the metal washer thing to take the C-clip out, It wont budge. I think its rusted.

I wanted to take everything out as lextoy sugested, to get my engine aligned at the shop. And this will just be a setback, and they may charge more.

what should I do? beat on it or let them put a tool that may take it off?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103_0192.JPG 
Views:	360 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	115038  

tool

Name:	103_0185.JPG 
Views:	997 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	115039  

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    You need to pry the metal carbon sealing hub back towards the carbon ring itself... there will be a C clip there on the front of the drive shaft to pop off... then with a little yanking... she'll pop right out. The bearing on the front may come out as well... not a problem though!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    You need to pry the metal carbon sealing hub back towards the carbon ring itself... there will be a C clip there on the front of the drive shaft to pop off... then with a little yanking... she'll pop right out. The bearing on the front may come out as well... not a problem though!

In the picture I was just getting the carbon seal out the way to show you the "sealing hub" It looks rusted to the shaft, and dose not spin on the shaft.

I got to pry on the sealing hub and it will move the motor forward and the drive shaft back, but no seperation to take the clip out.

+1
    Pull the "hat" back towards the accordian boot. If it is stiff heat it up with a hair dryer. You will see the c clip....

+1
    Do I remember correctly that this is a 03 motor installed in a 02 hull? I thought I rmembered something along those lines...If so, was the engine/electronics swap done recently or has it been a while? I ask this because, if it was recently, I would think you could pull that sleeve back to expose the circlip.

Does your bracket allow any flexing? I have removed the driveshaft several times. I remove the pump, and one of the nuts used to hold the pump to the ski is inserted into the splines area of the impeller...This forces the driveshaft forward (or towards the engine). I then use a large crowbar between one of the PTO bolts and the sleeve forcing the sleeve back and exposing the circlip.

When you said the engine moves forward and the driveshaft moves backwards, I wonder if the bracket/tool that you made is flexing. Just food for thought. --jeremy

+1
    Guys his problem is rust, check out the pic. That collar is sealed onto the drive shaft.
    Your going to have to break the collar loose so can slide back. You need some heat and some wd 40 minimum. Maybe some pentrating oil and some time but the collar has to be slid back.

By the way nice alignment tool.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Guys his problem is rust, check out the pic. That collar is sealed onto the drive shaft.
    Your going to have to break the collar loose so can slide back. You need some heat and some wd 40 minimum. Maybe some pentrating oil and some time but the collar has to be slid back.

By the way nice alignment tool.
    Yeah, I agree it is sealed via rust. I was suggesting to make sure the driveshaft does not shift rearward, so he can get leverage on th collar to "break" it loose. I think some penetrating oil will help, but it is going to take some muscle to get that loose, IMO.

In his second post, he says the driveshaft moves rearward and motor forward. I don't think this will get loosened if the two are moving. The driveshaft must be stationary, expecially in his circumstance...to get leverage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Yeah, I agree it is sealed via rust. I was suggesting to make sure the driveshaft does not shift rearward, so he can get leverage on th collar to "break" it loose. I think some penetrating oil will help, but it is going to take some muscle to get that loose, IMO.

In his second post, he says the driveshaft moves rearward and motor forward. I don't think this will get loosened if the two are moving. The driveshaft must be stationary, expecially in his circumstance...to get leverage.
    XBigDaddy, be sure your pump is in ski to keep drive shaft from moving and even better put something about 3/4 inch length in your prop and put pump on ski. tighten up bolts just tight enough to hold drive shaft from moving. dont over tighten.

Pic of what i use in my pump if need shaft tight.
    I use two of these together. They are the opas bushings from the sterring in back on nozzle.

Name:	DSC05717.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	570.9 KB 
ID:	115083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05719.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	554.6 KB 
ID:	115084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05720.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	544.8 KB 
ID:	115085  

Quote Originally Posted by xBigDaddyx117 View Post
    I cant get the drive shaft out my gtx, I made a tool to hold the drive shaft from moveing out but when I try to slide back the metal washer thing to take the C-clip out, It wont budge. I think its rusted.
    what should I do? beat on it or let them put a tool that may take it off?
    Get some PBlaster from auto parts store. Spray heavily and let it sit overnight. Spray some more and work the floating ring towards the engine to get over the rust. You probably should replace it along with the carbon ring and bellows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information