Where are you guys finding your skis?

I have now been looking for awhile as I am trying to locate a 3 seater carb'd ski (Seadoo or Yamaha) with at least 130hp. I haven't had much by way of luck lookin here, pwc today, e-bay, craigs list etc. I shouldn't say I can't find anything but it is a trust issue. I am new and looking for my first ski but don't want to be taken for a ride (pun intended). A lot of what I am finding is in Florida and California understandably as it is colder than !)#%(&^* up here now. I need to know if anyone knows of some sort of service that guys can pay another trusted member to run out and check out a ski for another and post the results / price. This way everyone keeps up to date on market prices for rides and poor fools like me can get a local set of experienced eyes to check out something listed as a "cherry ski" but is really a polished turd. I gotta figure some of the members could use the extra coin for mods/beer etc. Any takers?

+1
    Welcome to the forum.Do you have a good,trusted dealer in your area?You might find a good low hour ski there.Is there a budget?

like to get my hands dirty and prolly want a ski that needs a rebuild as then I can trust my own work or blame myself. Did you say "Trusted Dealer"

Sorry for my last reply Water Woody it didn't come out right. I'm more or less interested in skis the dealers wouldn't have or sell (blown motor or in need of work). I'd rather learn by doin it myself unless I could find a ski with trailer in the area of $2500. You think I'm being unreasonable?

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    You can get a nice running 99-01 GP800 or GP1200. Its a 2 seater but its a great ski and hauls butt!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkarnezis View Post
    Sorry for my last reply Water Woody it didn't come out right. I'm more or less interested in skis the dealers wouldn't have or sell (blown motor or in need of work). I'd rather learn by doin it myself unless I could find a ski with trailer in the area of $2500. You think I'm being unreasonable?
    You should be able to find a deal like that no problem..I got my 02 XLT which is near mint for less than that. Just gotta keep eyes open and be willing to do some traveling.

+1
    I have something that will fit your needs, check your pm ppkarnezis

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkarnezis View Post
    ...I'm more or less interested in skis the dealers wouldn't have or sell...
    Well then, consider a Polaris!

Since Polaris stopped making new PWC after 2004, most dealers don't want them, even if they are in decent running condition. Being two stroke engines (with one exception), they are easy enough to work on.

The 2000 and newer models come in both carbureted and Fuel injected versions. I have three of the fuel injected type.

The two cylinder models, and all the fuel injected engines, are easy on gas. All the triples can do 60+mph (fast enough for me), and are rated for 3 passengers, so legal to tow a water ski or tube with.

The Virage, Genesis and MSX models look pretty good, to my eye.

If you actually want to carry three people, the four seat Polaris Genesis is an interesting option. Unlike the Yamaha and Sea-Doo 4 seaters, which are simply enormous, the Genesis still feels like a PWC, and isn't much bigger than the 3 seaters.

Most PWC are really comfortable with one person less than the rating, so a 3 seater is best with one or two people.

If you want a smaller, light weight PWC that can corner, the Polaris SLX and Pro models may be interesting.

Thread Information