Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery for a 2000 SLH?

Hey All,

Kinda new to the PWC world. Bought a 2000 SLH late last summer and need a new battery for it this spring. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a battery that will work with it?

Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

LOTS of battery information on these forums. I suggest the AGM type of sealed battery.

If you haven't already, click here for Polaris Factory Service manuals.

We don't have the 2000 model year listed (yet), but between the 1998 and 2002 manuals you should find almost all the info you need. Some of us have the printed manuals handy, so just ask if what you need isn't in the downloadable manuals.

Be sure to exercise the Search function, as there is tons of helpful info around here.

I have a '95 SL 750 and used a lead acid battery for awhile.

I purchased an Odyssey and it made one heck of a difference in cranking speed and oomph, plus made starting much easier.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

heres what i tell customers when they ask this question

you have a few choices and i give them three.

lead acid, cheap (like $35-50), 6 month warranty, more than likey a 1-2 year battery but rarely get 2 years w/o charging them before every ride.

agm, a little more $ (around $65 or so), 1 year warranty, 3-5 year battery, usually last about 3 years before needing to charge before every ride, totally sealed so you dont have to mess with acid, a good mid level choice.

then theres odysey, a whole class of its own. the pc625. the battery of all batteries. 625 cranking amps for the first 5 seconds, 8-10 year service life, military grade, i think a 2 year free replacement warranty, holds 50% of its charge on a shelf for 5 years w/no charging at all. its still a agm battery but just super high quality. ive seen these things taken apart before, very high quality, my personal favorite. cost is around $100 depending on where you buy but if you want a battery that will never fail you and just about crank over anything you have, this is the one. i've had one for three years and have NEVER charged it. it sat for a year and half and still held 12.7v sitting on the shelf.

hands down, odysey, just from the cost, it will pay for itself if you are buying those cheap lead acid ones.

Alright since it seems that the odysey battery is the way to go, will the PC625 fit into my 95 SL750's battery box??? I bought these jet ski's at the end of last summer and the battery's look pretty good but I figure I like starting with a battery that I dont have to worry about for years to come.. Cya Slick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron da river rat View Post
    ...AGM, a little more $ (around $65 or so), 1 year warranty, 3-5 year battery, usually last about 3 years before needing to charge before every ride, totally sealed so you don't have to mess with acid, a good mid level choice...
    Would you rank the East-Penn Deka ETX16LM (specs on page 2) AGM batteries as mid-grade, or closer to the Odyssey?

CCA and capacity numbers are similar, and the Deka AGM build quality seems very good, judging by the three I have purchased so far.

Hey K447 any idea what this number is R224bb is? this number came off the Deka battery's that are in my jet ski's now and I want to get two new replacement battery's for the ski's.. The battery's that are in the ski's now just fit the battery box which is 6 1/2 long by 3 1/2 wide The thing is the Deka ETX16L is 6 7/8 x 4" wide seems big for my battery box and the ETX 15L 5 1/4 x 3 1/2seems a tad small and not use up the whole box so I can get the most power out of my battery.. If you have any idea what that this number is # R224bb I would apperciate any imput you have.. Cya Slick

+1
    Perhaps the Deka ETX20LM would fit better?
    6 7⁄8" long, 3 7⁄16" wide, 6 1⁄8" tall

The Deka specified width and length may be measured at the widest place, which is across the top of the battery.

Was that R224 number off the top of the battery, near the bar code?
    Third photo in this link.

R224 doesn't show up in a search on the Deka web site.

I thought (and I could be wrong) that all model years of Polaris PWC used the same physical size of battery. The Deka ETX16LM fits just fine in my 2002 and 2004 Polaris, and I think a friend fitted one into his 1997 (or was it 1992? ) Polaris PWC.

K447 I think the Deka ETX16L is 6 7/8 x 4" wide will fit I checked the other ski and it's battery is 7"x 4" so I think I am going to go with it, now time to see who has a good deal on two of them.. Anyone know who has the best price on these? just at a quick glance there is on Ebay for 1 battery $70.00 shipped to your door, I am going to look around and see what I can find.. Cya Slick

i had five customers buy the deckas with no luck. they only lasted about a year and a half.

we have two that lasted about the same time, charged them per instructions but they didn't hold up any better than the lead acids.

the odyseys have been troopers since day one. i buy all my batteries from batteries plus, they sell their brand of agm battery which has been pretty good so far. this year will be year two with them for some customers that frequent the shop.

on polaris skis, its hard to fit a battery without the posts hitting the plastic piece between the ebox and battery. this can eventually create a bad problem if not taken care of. even batteries that claim to fit can still cause a problem in this area. the odysey will be a close fit, i dont know why it wouldnt fit except for the fact that the posts might be too high but id have to check when i get to the shop.

at batteries plus, they actually take apart batteries and make them better. ive seen the inside of the odysey from one that got dropped and cracked. the lead used is super pure, the agm material is very tight and contain more plates and layers than the other brands. they pack way much more into the battery than what ive seen in other brands. not to degrade decka, i just havent had luck with the ones we have at all. i have two in my garage that are going to be two years old this spring that wont hold a charge enough to crank a jet ski over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information