Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question PWC Noob Needs Guidance

Hey guys, new to pwc's, and would like some guidance. Currently a boater who craves more speed (my boat will only do high 40's). I would like to spend $3000 or less (including trailer). In researching PWC's it seems that Yamaha is the best in terms of reliability and engineering. Looking at GP800/1200R/1300R. Where do I find the best deals (locals in Buffalo,NY ask WAY too much in bad economy)? What years for models listed could I afford? What is best deal in terms of cost for performance? I am willing to buy a PWC that I can upgrade to hit better speeds. Thanks!

JETSKIING IS NOT A CRIME!
    You are new to PWC...3000 and trailer...will get you a very old Yami that may go 40.
    ok the economy may allow you to find something cheap but i think you should look for somthing newer so you do not throw so much money into repairing that you will throw in the towel on PWC.
    If your credit is good use half of that 3000 to get a new one or two so you can have fun everyday with out opening the engine cover until you are home cleaning everything up.

If you do buy used make sure you bring someone that does now PWC motors; look for corrosion and do not buy without water test.
    Some PWCs sound great until you get them in the water and things start leaking and sinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Racing View Post
    You are new to PWC...3000 and trailer...will get you a very old Yami that may go 40.
    ok the economy may allow you to find something cheap but i think you should look for somthing newer so you do not throw so much money into repairing that you will throw in the towel on PWC.
    If your credit is good use half of that 3000 to get a new one or two so you can have fun everyday with out opening the engine cover until you are home cleaning everything up.

If you do buy used make sure you bring someone that does now PWC motors; look for corrosion and do not buy without water test.
    Some PWCs sound great until you get them in the water and things start leaking and sinking!
    Thanks for the reply. I have seen some 800's (http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81567) and 1200's (http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83674) for sale for less than $3000 so I would prefer to own the pwc outright. I have excellent credit, but I hate debt..lol. I might see what local dealers have in 2007/2008 stock.

+1
    Welcome to the forum !

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Welcome to the forum !
    Thx RX! If I do go with a 2007 or 2008, what models will be able to hit 50+?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by crownline99 View Post
    If I do go with a 2007 or 2008, what models will be able to hit 50+?
    Just about every new model on the market.

My 2002 Polaris Virage TXi 3 seat PWC does about 62mph (GPS), and it only has circa 125hp.

Many stock PWC run in the 60-65mph neighbourhood, give or take. Do you ride on large, rough water, or inland lakes and rivers?

The Great Lakes are a different deal, and a hull that handles rough water well makes a big difference in how much you enjoy the ride.

Keep in mind that big engine power drinks more fuel than medium power, if fuel economy is of concern to you.

Regarding deals, have a look toward Michigan and Ohio. You may find lower pricing the closer you get to the hard-hit auto manufacturing areas.

You must also factor in your ability to fully evaluate the machine before you commit to buying it. It can be a bummer to drive for hours, then have to walk away because the machine is not as good as the seller made it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Just about every new model on the market.

My 2002 Polaris Virage TXi 3 seat PWC does about 62mph (GPS), and it only has circa 125hp.

Many stock PWC run in the 60-65mph neighbourhood, give or take. Do you ride on large, rough water, or inland lakes and rivers?

The Great Lakes are a different deal, and a hull that handles rough water well makes a big difference in how much you enjoy the ride.

Keep in mind that big engine power drinks more fuel than medium power, if fuel economy is of concern to you.

Regarding deals, have a look toward Michigan and Ohio. You may find lower pricing the closer you get to the hard-hit auto manufacturing areas.

You must also factor in your ability to fully evaluate the machine before you commit to buying it. It can be a bummer to drive for hours, then have to walk away because the machine is not as good as the seller made it out to be.
    Thx K447, I would be riding mostly on Oneida Lake (largest lake in NY that's not Great Lake), with a little on Niagara River, and St. Lawrence Seaway (1000 Islands). The Seaway would be the roughest riding, based on my experience. I'm hoping to find a deal off the boards here if possible.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Hey there I noticed one of the skis you mentioned was mine. I actually sold it for $2550 so it was well in your budget. The GP800 was a great ski to me and ran amazingly fast. From a stop it would haul butt! You will not be disappointed in any Yamaha ski, I loved mine but needed a 3+ seater. You will love it if you do end up getting one. Just look for one that was taken care off.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    Hey there I noticed one of the skis you mentioned was mine. I actually sold it for $2550 so it was well in your budget. The GP800 was a great ski to me and ran amazingly fast. From a stop it would haul butt! You will not be disappointed in any Yamaha ski, I loved mine but needed a 3+ seater. You will love it if you do end up getting one. Just look for one that was taken care off.
    Hey SlowStang305, thx for the reply. I would have been interested in buying your ski if you weren't in Fla (quite the drive!). The pics showed a PWC in VG shape for the year. The 800 might fit the bill for me. I want fast acceleration and top end at least in the mid 50's. How was it on gas?

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Like any 2 stroke ski it ate a lot at full throttle. I premixed my gas in it as well. I rode all day on a full tank pretty much taking breaks here and there. I have been looking through craigslist and there are actually quite a few different skis in your budget, but like I always say, stick with yamaha! The GP1200 might be a bit more fun since it is faster but the 800 was more then enough for me. Keep in mind im also 6'3 260! I was scared the first time I took it out and hit full throttle. I used it to go offshore a lot and never had any problems. I highly recommend you do a compression check when picking up a used jet ski, that is the easiest way to spot potential problems.

If you will be riding with a passenger I recommend you skip all the 2 seaters and go for a 3 seater. The 800 was not stable with 2 people, even the previous owner who was half my size will agree. XL800s are pretty cheap nowadays. 3000 is a good budget for a 2 stroke, you can even pick up a rental 4 stroke if you do a lot of searching although I don't know if I would do that.

Keep an eye out on www.boattraderonline.com, www.craigslist.com, and ofcourse here and pwctoday.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information