Superjet Balance

Hi everyone,

I have a round nose Superjet. When it sits in the water it leans over to one side, like it isn't balanced right. It also is easier to turn left than right, right feels far less stable.

Is this a common problem, and how do you guys balance your skis? I was planning to balance it out with some lead ballast, does this seem like the right thing to do?

Cheers,
    Andrew

+1

Cool

yes,battery sit on side (right) and rotation of motor/prop makes it easier turning one way and not other

later cd

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    dunno if they still designed it.. but didnt they unbalance the skis so if you fell off, and there wasnt a lanyard.. it would turn and come back to you and or turn into tighter and tighter circles instead of idling away from you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    dunno if they still designed it.. but didnt they unbalance the skis so if you fell off, and there wasnt a lanyard.. it would turn and come back to you and or turn into tighter and tighter circles instead of idling away from you
    No. They turn because of the steering system.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    No. They turn because of the steering system.
    really?

was it the older ones that would turn cause they didnt have a lanyard

+1
    They had a spring on the steering system, I believe it was on the handlebars..I don't remember..but this was taken from an article comparing the new 800SXR to the original 400 from Kawi in PWIA.org:

"Finally, many safety features have been updated. For example, should a rider fall off of the SX-R 800, a safety tether automatically shuts down the engine. When a rider inevitably falls off the 400, on the other hand, it idles in circles until the rider can swim to it. "

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    They had a spring on the steering system, I believe it was on the handlebars..I don't remember..but this was taken from an article comparing the new 800SXR to the original 400 from Kawi in PWIA.org:

"Finally, many safety features have been updated. For example, should a rider fall off of the SX-R 800, a safety tether automatically shuts down the engine. When a rider inevitably falls off the 400, on the other hand, it idles in circles until the rider can swim to it. "
    The very first JS400 may have had a spring on the steering cable but none of the others did. The superjet just sits unbalanced due to the heavy battery on one side...depending on what exhaust you have can alter its attitude in the water. Even a superjet will circle while running with nobody on it (usually ) Also the engine is offset to one side of the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a round nose Superjet. When it sits in the water it leans over to one side, like it isn't balanced right. It also is easier to turn left than right, right feels far less stable.

Is this a common problem, and how do you guys balance your skis? I was planning to balance it out with some lead ballast, does this seem like the right thing to do?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    There shouldn't be any reason why it turns easier one way than the other (unless you are just better at turning one way) Does it ride straight when the bars are straight? Is the difference in turning very significant or barely noticeable?
    There should be no reason to balance the boat out.

+1
    Mine sits a "little" to the right because of the battery, but not much...not much at all.
    How old is the ski? What's the condition? Water logged foam is also common on these skis as they get old.

Thread Information