Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 Yamaha XLT 1200 Blown Motor Pics- Cause?

Well I finally got a chance to tear into this ski I picked up last week to see what was wrong..Dealership had told the guy the oil injection went out and it would cost $2700 to fix...looks like its going to be a bit cheaper than that. They had pulled the head off and managed to get some crud on the top of the other two pistons...its not detonation marks. The rear pistons is obviously toasted..what do you think its from? Carb issues?

The spark plug picture is of the spark plugs in reverse order(1st one is cylinder 3, second one #2, third one #1).

Another question is I have a spare parts motor sitting here but the cylinders it has are the resleeved ones. I am planning on just finding another oem nikisil cylinder but what would it hurt to use one of the resleeved ones with the other 2 OEM cylinders? I had heard it was due to heat dissipation issues..not sure if that was true.

Thanks!

Cylinder 3(rear)

Middle

Front

Head:

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    I am a neebie to this, but my opinion is LEAN machine.... the other 2 look a little lean also.... make sure when the carbs are rebuilt that you drill out tamper caps for the highs and low adj. and rejet per the specs on this site... also will need to disable the acc pump, remove choke, add primer...... some of the experts will chime in on a more accurate diagnostic

Thanks for the info. I just realized the picture of the plugs really sucks..I will have to try to get a better focused one. It looks like the previous person that took them out dropped them in dirt or something...its the same stuff thats on top of the pistons. I wanted to get some pictures before I cleaned everything up.

I am going to tear it down a bit further tonight and determine if there was any damage done to the crank shaft.

+1
    thats looks lean to e as well
    the middle plug is tan ish white one the electrode. it should be brown
    all three should be brown
    make sure the jetting on your carbs is correct and see if you oil pump failed.
    id run pre mix from now on to prevent this. just my 2 cents

+1
    that color of what you are describing and the dirty plugs , like soemone dropped them in the mud to me means water damage. Pull a cylinder and check the bottom. That rusty color I see alot when there is water damage. If so, pull the carbs next.

As far as the cylinder. I sure you are trying to put it back together and sell it so I would juts go oem. Other wise you have to explain that and most people would advoid the ski.

+1
    I'd say broken ring, or some other "hard part" failure.

Hello Nightrider05, those pics look like the same problem I had with my 1200 pv engine. Toasted the 3rd cylinder but when I got the cylinder off I found my connecting rod was welded to the crank and was hard to move the crank. The guy that rebuilt my carbs told me I had water and sand in the carbs. Because I had the issue with the crankshaft, I decided to go with an SBT reconditioned engine. Their exspensive but I like the warranty. I have gained a tremendous of knowledge here at GH and have pretty much checked everything else out . MY hope is to have a dependable ski when all the dust settles. Good luck with your build . Robert D.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    I'd say broken ring, or some other "hard part" failure.
    Is there any real way to determine if it was something simple as a hard part failure? I dont want to tear into things that dont need to be torn into. The guy said his neice was riding it and it just stopped..they tried firing it up and all they got was a click. Said it wasn't flipped over or anything. And dealership said it was from oil injection failure.

I am planning on getting it running and riding it until it sells..Im not trying to pass of any issues to anyone else. And I am converting to premix..wouldn't have it any other way after seeing some of the other 1200's I have picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by RadDaddy View Post
    Hello Nightrider05, those pics look like the same problem I had with my 1200 pv engine. Toasted the 3rd cylinder but when I got the cylinder off I found my connecting rod was welded to the crank and was hard to move the crank. The guy that rebuilt my carbs told me I had water and sand in the carbs. Because I had the issue with the crankshaft, I decided to go with an SBT reconditioned engine. Their exspensive but I like the warranty. I have gained a tremendous of knowledge here at GH and have pretty much checked everything else out . MY hope is to have a dependable ski when all the dust settles. Good luck with your build . Robert D.
    Ahh I hope its not that bad..im hoping the crank is still good..wont know until I tear into it a bit more. I buttoned things up for the night since its gotta be stored outside right now. Thanks!

I hope not also. But wanted to tell you about my situation. if it was lack of oil, then you were also not getting enough oil in the crankcase to lubricate the bearings . My son was riding in the lake when it happened. He only knows 2 speeds and thats off and wide open ! and he chose the latter of the two when it happened. It shut off in the middle of the lake and we were the only ones at the lake that day. had to drift to the hill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information