Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Murphy's law thread...post your easy projects gone wrong.

I set out to change the impeller on my SHO today thinking 20-30min job....wrong. First, while trying to remove a siezed up lock nut from the bolt on the ball joint for the steering cable, I broke the bolt using fairly little torque. Come to find out nobody has them in stock and they're $86. Then, while trying to remove the siezed up screws for the speedo sender I stripped 3 of 4. Finally, the stock prop was so hard to break loose the the closed end of the wrench slipped just as it broke free from the shaft leaving some nice marks on it. Lesson learned...Yamaha putting red loctite on everything + a little salt water corrosion = PITA!!! I think next time I buy a new ski I'm going to disassemble all the submerged parts and put anti-sieze on everything before I put more than 10hrs on it.

Hopefully hearing other people's stories will make me feel better about taking over 2 hrs to change an impeller.

+1
    Got a pic of the steering piece you broke? is it anything like the GPR steering cable end? if so I have some.

Not a Ski project, but just popped to mind immediately.

Had an '02 Porsche Boxster and wanted to put an auto dimming rearview mirror in. Went to remove the existing mirror. Easy right. Not. Cracked the windshield. New windshield and dealer installed the mirror. Cost: $1,700.00

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Got a pic of the steering piece you broke? is it anything like the GPR steering cable end? if so I have some.
    Thanks Bill...Yep same 1. I pulled one off my GPR so I can test the prop tomorrow and they are identical. A friend of mine is going to check if he has one in his spare parts bin, so I'll let you know.

Not an FX SHO but..

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I guess...
    When I first got into jet skis, I was winterizing my wife's Sea Doo GSX and I was spraying Sea Doo Lube through the spark plug holes and the straw fell off, down the cylinder. I panicked, called a friend, who told me not to try and start it, but to take the head off. This was the most mechanical moment in my life to date, besides changing a tire. I got the head off, didn't see a straw, and my friend said that it must have fallen down into the crankcase and we had to take the engine out, take the cylinder and piston apart, and get the straw out. Long story short, before I got that far, I actually found the straw under the engine. I learned what a torque wrench was, that Sea Doos are a p.i.t.a. to work on (even more so when I bought a 99 XP), and a few year later I was tearing down GPR's with relative ease.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Thanks Bill...Yep same 1. I pulled one off my GPR so I can test the prop tomorrow and they are identical. A friend of mine is going to check if he has one in his spare parts bin, so I'll let you know.
    out everything bad some good can be found

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

sorry had to do it
    "easy projects gone wrong"

mattman

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

The straw.....

I had a close call with that also, and I knew better. Luckily the piston was at tdc so that oh crap mopment lasted about 1/2 second.

I like that new WD-40 can with the built in straw.

I've taken to using a long necked funnel for winterizing now, and just spray sans straw.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post

sorry had to do it
    "easy projects gone wrong"

mattman
    Hey I had one of those go wrong!!! Back in 93 I was at a boat show & called the wife to tell her I was going to buy a SEA DOO & she said if I did, we would get divorced. I looked at my friend and he laughed & said she would never do that... Sooo its January 94 & I'm walking out of the court house after dealing with a Female Judge, Female security guard, female stenographer, ex wife's female lawyer, you would have thought I had just been convicted of rape!!!! I head strait to my local dealer to trade the SP on a new XP, figured with just me on it, it should be real quick ....

Jim

yeah I kinda did the same thing on the handlebars on the sho....red loctite everywhere...stripped out like 5 screws...then my screw extractor broke...anyone got any secrets for removing red loctite...stuff is a Bi^!#...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information