Thread: stand up

stand up

Ok well i just got into jet sking this year on my very own 96 xp (im14 and i payed for it myself) and WOW I LOVE JET SKING NOW! and now i wana buy a stand up. and i am looking at the 2008-2009 sx-r from Kawasaki all i am going to do is just ride around and learn to do tricks. or am i better off getting a Yamaha 2000-2009 super jet or should i just get a old Yamaha or Kawasaki thanks a lot guys

Congrats on seeing the light. Jet skiing is some great fun. I don't know much about the Kawi but I have heard good things. IMO the Superjet would be the way to go. They have remained pretty much unchanged since 1996. (If it aint broke don't fix it) This means there are a lot of parts, used or otherwise available. That also means you can find a ski fairly cheap. That 701 engine has been around since 1994 I believe. They are practically bullet proof. They are great boats. My buddy has one and I am constantly trading him my GPR to ride it.

+1
    YAMAHA all day long more bolt on performance parts availible!

Depends on what you are going for...I own a SJ and an SXR...however I cant account for the SXR because I haven't even rode it yet Just got a good deal mid winter and couldn't pass it up. The SXR's are alot more stabil, but also weigh more. They are better if you are into racing..the SJ's are alot more nimble and better for freestyle and just playing around.

I personally would say however..ride them both and see which one you like before making the big purchase. Only you will know what you like to ride better.

I don't think you can go wrong with either ski. There are plenty of aftermarket parts for either one, not just the SJ. The Sj was changed in 08, It has a new bottom hull which is supposed to make it handle more like the SXR. I have not ridden the new hull yet. The SXR is pretty much the same 03-09. If you think you just want to learn freestyle then the SJ is probably the way to go as it is much lighter than the SXR. The SXR is more stable and handles better and would be the way to go if you want to race. I ride an SXR and wouldn't trade it for anything. Go to X-h20.com. Its all about stand-ups.

opinions are like *&$holes, so I'll put mine in there too. Superjet for all around best ski. I think SXR's are only good for racing. Heavy pigs. Plus, the yamaha is super reliable.

Sj if your surf riding!!

I wouldn't narrow down your options so quickly. Everyone will always tell you to buy either a SJ or SXR, and everyone will always tell you to get a SJ for freestyle and an SXR for racing...and it's true. But there are a lot of other skis out there to be had that are a blast to ride, especially to learn on, and you can pick up used skis for cheap. No sense spending 6k on a side of the sport you've never tried yet (even though you will like it and never turn back...). I had my first stand up at age 15, bought my own kawasaki 550sx, with a reed motor and bolt on mods. I got it for less than 1k and it was my favorite ski, I loved that thing and they are a blast to learn on, if you can master a 550, you can ride any ski. I sold it for more than I bought it for and bought an older SJ with more bolt ons and put footholds in, that was a good ski too for uner 2k...
    All I'm saying is, if you are buying your first stand-up, I would look around more before settting your mind on either a brand new SJ or SXR. SJ have been the same forever, so buying a used one for cheap may be better than buying a brand new one when you are getting the same ski, then you can have money left over for mods/footholds if you want. There is also an FX-1, which some say is the best hull ever made, it has the notorious 701 motor in a hull more simiilar to the 550...
    Either way, you'll be happy, stand ups are a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by The other Alex View Post
    I wouldn't narrow down your options so quickly. Everyone will always tell you to buy either a SJ or SXR, and everyone will always tell you to get a SJ for freestyle and an SXR for racing...and it's true. But there are a lot of other skis out there to be had that are a blast to ride, especially to learn on, and you can pick up used skis for cheap. No sense spending 6k on a side of the sport you've never tried yet (even though you will like it and never turn back...). I had my first stand up at age 15, bought my own kawasaki 550sx, with a reed motor and bolt on mods. I got it for less than 1k and it was my favorite ski, I loved that thing and they are a blast to learn on, if you can master a 550, you can ride any ski. I sold it for more than I bought it for and bought an older SJ with more bolt ons and put footholds in, that was a good ski too for uner 2k...
    All I'm saying is, if you are buying your first stand-up, I would look around more before settting your mind on either a brand new SJ or SXR. SJ have been the same forever, so buying a used one for cheap may be better than buying a brand new one when you are getting the same ski, then you can have money left over for mods/footholds if you want. There is also an FX-1, which some say is the best hull ever made, it has the notorious 701 motor in a hull more simiilar to the 550...
    Either way, you'll be happy, stand ups are a blast.

+1 !! Grab a square nose with a 701 in it.. ANd go rip it all day long. you can find one for around 1500 that will be a durable machine for you

Thread Information