Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Dropping 04 sponsons

Hi all that have done this and know. My mate got an 06 rxp over the weekend and it has dropped sponsons and UMI steering. Safe to say it handles like it is on rails. I want mine the same. Now can any1 tell me if there is a performance gain in the 05 upwards sponsons over the 04s?? They look to have the same profile on the underside. Now i know the 05s look better but i aint going to buy some just coz they look better. After all you cant see em when riding. I am going to fitt UMI at the same time as dropping the sponsons so no probs with being thrown off coz of stock steering. Thanks in advance R88

hello mate iv just fitted umi 2 my rxp and dropped the sponsons wow wot a diffrance all you need to do is take off old sponsons measure down 15 -20mm and re drill the same size holes in the hull and then fill in old holes with silicon and refit sponsons back but take ur time these a few bits in side the ski what needs to be removed then put back ( where u ski i see ur from england )

why would you be thrown off because of having stock steering and lowered sponsons? I know it will be a more aggressive ride with lowered sponsons but surely you can still ride with the stock steering without getting thrown off?

Quote Originally Posted by Thegaragejavea View Post
    why would you be thrown off because of having stock steering and lowered sponsons? I know it will be a more aggressive ride with lowered sponsons but surely you can still ride with the stock steering without getting thrown off?
    +1.. cant see how umi gona save ya if your going over the bars..then your going umi or not,,...

+1
    Im from north kent coast matey. Ride in the sea 100%. The stock steering has to much play and is not precise enough to handle the aggresive turning of dropped sponsons. Plus the UMI makes you ride in a more aggresive position up front on the ski. Which gives you more control when turning hard. This mod is only if you like to turn hard and race bouy courses. R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK_LEGG View Post
    +1.. cant see how umi gona save ya if your going over the bars..then your going umi or not,,...
    Trust me mark there only 1 way you going when turning with this setup and that is off the side. No worries about going over the bars. It is savage in the turns I cant tell you how good it turns so much better than a stock RXP and to be fair the rxp is a good handeling ski stock. It is not that the UMI will save you it just gives you the control needed to ride with dropped sponsons. R88

+1
    If you cant stay on with dropped sponsons and stock steering your doing something wrong. UMI is only really needed on a track to get your weight over the front when going round bouys.

I agree that the umi gives you more control when turning hard as i have it on my other two skis and they both have worx sponsons set up for closed course racing. I ride in 100% sea as well, i used to live in the UK and ride in Bournemouth but have moved abroad. I plan on dropping the sponsons on my rxp when i finished building it but i dont think i will get thrown off by not having umi.

as you say 100 % IN THE SEA...... wavy bumpy washy sea,on the best of the best days at sea maybe.....more of a mod for the MUDDY PUDDLE RIDERS..... AND IM GUESSING YOU RODE ON A LAKE... MIND YOU THE BARS LOOK NICE.....BUT FOR THE MONEY AND WHERE YOU RIDE+ DO THE DROP SPONSONS COST SPEED

Yes i mean 100% in sea in all conditions. I have only ridden on a lake once. The only reason my skis are set up for closed course racing is because they are ex race skis which i got off my brother GRANTUK.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information