Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Looking to get over the 70mph with ease

Hey whats up guys, I'm new as you can tell...

Anyways, I just bought a 2004 GP1300R with 24 hours on it. Looks like new. I want it to have some more top end. Don't have a GPS right now so I can't tell you what it really goes but the "Dreamometer" says 80mph.

Whats the shortest and easiest way to get over the 70mph GPS mark. I prefer not to touch the motor this time around but bolt on parts like exhaust and intake will be ok. I already plan to swap to the 2005+ Pump and Dynafly prop. Anyways post up! Help a Newbie out!

Not afraid to wrench, work on cars a decent amount, ex owner of a 550+rwhp 00 Trans am and owner of a 04 Z06.

THANKS!

Hello Chrisrokc and welcome to the fourm

i posted a link for you to look at ..it should help alot
    most item on this link are alomost the same as your 2004
    if your just looking at 70mph a ride plate from jim should do the trick for ya if you will go with 2005 pump and a 14/20 DF prop as you posted you will be at 70mph+ no problem
    check out this link and you will get lots of info and make sure you ask alot of questions were here to help

be sure to look at Abbott post
    http://www.greenhulk.net/yamaha/viewtopic.php?t=2230

+1
    Welcome to the Forum

Welcome! All you want is 70 , somebody give us a challenge here! Like the others said, the new pump with the Dynafly and a plate will have you there and then some. I would also change the intake grate to a Riva or R&D 2 bar. When you get to 70 the stock grate overstuffs the pump and can cause some nasty things to happen when you chop the throttle when wide open.
    I have to agree -- 70 will come quickly with just hull mods. Your goal will be met with a plate / 05 pump conversion / The right prop / and Intake Grate only. Go ahead and set your standards a little higher because there is much more there if you want it!!

The majic question has always been "how much are you willing to spend"????

+1

Re: Looking to get over the 70mph with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
    Hey whats up guys, I'm new as you can tell...

Anyways, I just bought a 2004 GP1300R with 24 hours on it. Looks like new. I want it to have some more top end. Don't have a GPS right now so I can't tell you what it really goes but the "Dreamometer" says 80mph.

Whats the shortest and easiest way to get over the 70mph GPS mark. I prefer not to touch the motor this time around but bolt on parts like exhaust and intake will be ok. I already plan to swap to the 2005+ Pump and Dynafly prop. Anyways post up! Help a Newbie out!

Not afraid to wrench, work on car a decent amount, ex owner of a 550+rwhp 00 Trans am and owner of a 04 Z06.

THANKS!
    Welcome dude!! This isn't a problem.

First things first--get a good tach for testing purposes. Everything should be done by the rpm readings at first - (and the gps mph will take care of itself in a big way). For a single pipe, after all mods are done (which ever you choose to do) the rpms should be in the 7150 range because that is where your boat (all GPR's) make the most power.

The rest i will keep short and simple for you.

Reinforce your pump tunnel and get that disaster waiting to happen out of the way.
    Pump Seal Kit
    Aftermarket Ride Plate Of your choice - Many Prefer Jim's Plate out of Tampa. It's a modified R&D plate that is angled and cut for handling and speed. There are several vendors and mod choices in the "ride plate" arena to choose from. But the ride plate is the single biggest speed "increaser" that is a bolt on product without ever touching the engine. Some ride plates like this have been giving 4 and 5 mph gains just by putting it on the hull.
    You will need to throw your stock intake grate in the garbage - it will get you killed. You need a "2-Bar" 1200 aftermarket intake grate and its a good idea to have an 800 grate as well for speed runs (little faster).
    Your on the right track by upgraing your pump. You will need a solas 14/20 "DYNAFLY" prop.
    You can keep your stock trim tabs if you want to; some prefer the aftermarket ones becuase there isn't any flex in the aluminum ones vs. the 2004 stock plastic ones.
    Remove the Cat Con and replace with a D-plate in the exhaust system. You will need a bypass chip with this or make a resistor to keep alarms from going off. (some boats 2005 and up are not needing this--but you will)
    EFI Controller
    There is also a Keyway available for your flywheel if your looking to advance timing just a hair.
    Keep your stock head -- it can be milled just as good as any out there and the sock head is the strongest out there.
    Keep your stock exhaust stinger - its also the best out there.
    Your stock reeds will do fine, but there are many aftermarket reeds that are available to you to use, along with reed stuffers.
    Air Filter (Aftermarket - for the stock FI Air box)

These are some of the simple mods to do---if you want to go futher then look into Porting / Head Milling / Big Boring / Carb Conversions / ect.... You just tell the forum what you want and you will get there. Welcome to the forum and remember that no questions are dumb here.

Also see the thread that KNR has a link to up at the top of this thread. Hope that all of this helps. Keep asking - and someone will keep answering. Also check out www.mudbugnationals.com - an event coming up soon. Great chance to meet over 100 people - most being forum members.

What he said. Abbot hit the nail right on the head.

+1
    yuppers, yuppers, yuppers

Thanks for the help! First thing I will be doing will be getting Jim's plate then and work up from there. I will let you guys know how it goes in a few weeks.

Also on the 2005 pump will I want to use the 87mm 2005+ nozzle?

These folks can save you alot of time with tried and true methods in both performance and prevention. Reinforce your pump tunnel and get that disaster waiting to happen out of the way.
    Pump Seal Kit.
    As John recommended, The pump tunnel on a GPR is a weak link. Anytime you're modding this should probably be one of your first considerations. The ramifications of it's damage by far outweigh the instalation time.
    Another thing that is helpful is to journal your mods and chart them individually as to performance. When modifications are done all together it is difficult to ascertain where your gains came from and what isn't up to par.
    Best of luck- Keep the forum informed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO
    Welcome! All you want is 70 , somebody give us a challenge here! Like the others said, the new pump with the Dynafly and a plate will have you there and then some. I would also change the intake grate to a Riva or R&D 2 bar. When you get to 70 the stock grate overstuffs the pump and can cause some nasty things to happen when you chop the throttle when wide open.
    I have to agree -- 70 will come quickly with just hull mods. Your goal will be met with a plate / 05 pump conversion / The right prop / and Intake Grate only. Go ahead and set your standards a little higher because there is much more there if you want it!!

The majic question has always been "how much are you willing to spend"????
    Hey Voodoo - i just screwed up and edited your post with what i was trying to type after my first post into this thread. I am very sorry about that ---the edit button that i see is very close to the "reply" and i hit it by mistake. Sorry about that!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information