Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile UPDATE on virage Computer REpair

Well I sent the computer that needed repair off to DFI tech.To there credit they replaced a bad cap#c89 then updated the software ,funtion tested it. I installed the matching injectors that were with it originally , put fresh fuel in it. checked fuel pressure ,all was good ,started up first try ,took it to lake drove it around slow for a few minutes ,then opened her up, boy does that 1200 polaris virage have a kick. to make a long story short,customer picked it up. took it on a 53 mile round trip at 50 mph first day. rode it around 100 miles 2nd day running fine, took it out 3rd day made 1/2 of a 40 mile trip,and it seized up on him, he said it looked like front cylinder, he has a parts ski so n/p i will replace front cylinder. my question is this, does anyone have a 1200 that they ride for long distances that holds up, or are they set too lean to pass epa tests. i noticed seadoo only marketed there direct injection 951 two stroke for a yr or 2 if that before replacing that idea with 4 stroke. well thanks for all your guys help this 1200 ficht has been fun, i hope he decides to sell it soon ,he has 3 sltx 1050s so hes good to go>Marvin

+1
    Check oil pump indexing of the actuator .Advancing it the width of the line helped me save a few engines I am sure .Make sure the cable insnot frayed or broken .Need to find out what went wrong here

Bernie

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you certain it was a lean condition that caused the failure?

Any pictures of the damage?

Was the oil injection adjusted and working properly?

I have read very few reports regarding Ficht engine mechanical failures. More info and details would be appreciated.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you certain it was a lean condition that caused the failure?

Any pictures of the damage?

Was the oil injection adjusted and working properly?

I have read very few reports regarding Ficht engine mechanical failures. More info and details would be appreciated.
    I havent gotten it back yet oil pump was adjusted a little on rich side.He runs 100 to 1 mix in all his skis .I told him not to run it in the virage,he said ok.I am anxious to look at it and see what happened.He rides hard for long distances without slowing down(ex mx rider)I am not entirely sure he didnt run 100to1 premix in it .I dont think he did But I really want to look at ski close.He had bought it non running,with 45 hrs on it.after dfi worked on comp. it fired up and ran great had fresh gas oil etc.I will post asap when I find out a bit more about it.I was just wondering if they were known for problems,I also see where a 1050 and 1200 crank and cylinders are not interchangeable.I have his 1050s running a little on fat side,plus he runs 100 to 1 premix above and beyond the oil pump.He rides about 45 minutes to an hour at 3/4to7/8ths throttle,which I have only seen people ride here in lake at that for 5 minutes before they turn around or slow down.I thought perhaps 3/4 throttle on the ficht was programed lean to pass epa or something,it is a royal_____ not having ability to see map or even know what is going on ,I also really need to find a seadoo mpem programmer or someone besides local dealer who will program one for me.The dealer isnt wanting to help any local shops,unless you do work for him>Marvin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    I haven't gotten it back yet oil pump was adjusted a little on rich side. He runs 100 to 1 mix in all his skis. I told him not to run it in the Virage, he said ok. ...I am not entirely sure he didn't run 100 to 1 premix in it. I don't think he did...
    ...I thought perhaps 3/4 throttle on the Ficht was programed lean to pass EPA or something, it is a royal_____ not having ability to see map or even know what is going on...
    On Ficht injection, any oil mixed into the fuel simply goes straight into the combustion chamber, since that is where the injectors discharge - right through the cylinder head.

I would think virtually none of the pre-mixed oil would get to lubricate anything before it gets burned. What it might do is foul the plugs a bit, or lean out the fuel mixture just a bit more.

The Ficht injector spray pattern is aimed right at the spark plug tip. MSX 140 cylinder head shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010839.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	115633  

+1
    Check air temp values as this will cause cylinder lock up if it giving wrong value to computer
    I don't mix oil in fuel unless I have had lines off .I then take it easy for the first tank till its gone .Your best bet if your unsure though is to put 200 mls down the throttle bodies with the plugs out and crank it over .Then put plugs in and take a big breath and start it up

Bernie

Smile

Thanks for the tip I was just metioning it that he might have run premix,I have since spoken again,no pre-mix in ski,He just said first spedometer quit working then 5 min. later it soft seized.It only had like 40+ hrs on it,The computer was updated by dfi,ran strong smooth no missing etc.I'm thinking perhaps the damage had been started by the computer going bad before he bought ski,It is possible for these skis to show ok compression even if they have a spot on piston crown on exhaust side starting to burn thru,then when he bought it.I had computer fixed,cleaned ski up,ckecked oil pump,fresh gas,Changed TPS out,checked fuel pressures etc.All was well,perhaps I should have pulled the heads first,I will pull spare cyli. and piston off of 35 hrs parts ski(virage injected with thrown rod!!!Thats why I asked about these fuel injected ,The only 2 1200 I have seen, both very low hrs, one blown rod, the other blown computer ,and the parts ski (blown motor) also had computer problem ,it worked fine on surface but had C-27 burnt out,C-28 is back up for it but still no go.I have no way to program injectors or anything ,no polaris pwc dealers around except one on lake they only repair 4 wheelers now no polaris watercraft!!!My customer is in process of buying another 1200 carburated this time,(400) with one bad piston.He really liked them so much over the sltx 97 that he has 3 of.Thanks for all your help!!>Marvin

+1
    Does /did this ski have fuel pressure ?
    Speedomter quit working first?
    That works on air pressure from a tube going to a pick up from below the through hull seal .I would guess that it maybe has split and ingested water through the intake and taken out #1 cylinder .Usually it takes out the pto cyl but its a Polaris and any thing could happen

Bernie
    Last edited by Bernie; 02-07-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: more info

Smile

Speedo not working was coincidence????no water only front cylinder seized,fuel pressure is fine,regulator working well,45psi at cranking,If it was fuel pressure wouldnt the rear cylinder been more likely to fail first or the middle cylinder.Now to really through a wrench in works, on his #1 sltx he had ridden about 50 miles ,his spedo quit working first, then center cylinder seized because piston is cracked across middle of it.Now what is odds of 2 different skis,one fuel injected other carb,first speedo quits then 5 mins later engine seizes (center cylinder cracked piston) Could there be something in the water causing this or is it just coincedence??or port of houston aiming a PWC death ray at him??(just kidding)enclosed are pics of center cylinder piston,thanks for all ya'lls help>Marvin ps cylinder had only minor scuff marks on side. none around exhaust port where I would expect.NOw question besides a plastic bag what could cause speedo to quit then PWC to have a seized piston ,on two different skis different days ,one fuel injected one carbed,is it his type of riding, long 3/4 to 7/8ths throttle runs of 50 to 100miles???need polaris pros,I can fix them its whats causing them I cant find!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    Speedo not working was coincidence????
    no water only front cylinder seized, fuel pressure is fine, regulator working well, 45psi at cranking,
    45PSI sounds way high, normally a Ficht fuel pump pressure regulator delivers 20-30PSI. Is it possible the return fuel line is blocked, and fuel cannot circulate back to the fuel tank?

If it was fuel pressure wouldn't the rear cylinder been more likely to fail first or the middle cylinder?
    Low fuel pressure on Ficht usually causes rough or very rough running, especially as the throttle is opened up. Often also triggers the Check Engine lamp on MFI.

Now to really throw a wrench in works, on his #1 SLTX he had ridden about 50 miles, his speedo quit working first, then center cylinder seized because piston is cracked across middle of it.
    Could this be water ingestion damage?

Now what is odds of 2 different skis, one fuel injected other carb, first speedo quits then 5 mins later engine seizes (center cylinder cracked piston)

...ps cylinder had only minor scuff marks on side. none around exhaust port where I would expect.

Now question besides a plastic bag what could cause speedo to quit then PWC to have a seized piston, on two different skis different days ,one fuel injected one carbed...

Is it his type of riding, long 3/4 to 7/8ths throttle runs of 50 to 100miles???...
    Except for the MSX, all Polaris PWC use the same type of speedo system. There is a pitot fin below the hull, inside the intake grate opening. That fin has a small hole on the leading edge, which connects via a nipple inside the hull to a small tube that runs up to the back of the digital display.

The nipple inside the hull is right under the drive shaft, and can be hard to see. Have a look at these photos.

If that small hose splits, or falls off the nipple, then the pitot will inject water inside the hull under pressure (can be over 30PSI water pressure at speed). The spinning drive shaft and coupler will then spray that water all around inside, and some will get into the engine. Usually the PTO intake gets the most water spray, so it is the more likely one to suffer first. Sometimes the other end of the hose falls off behind the MFD/MFI, so check that too.

Another possibility, is that there was a lot of debris in the water, and it plugged not only the speedo pitot, but also the cooling water inlet screen in the jet pump nozzle. That could lead to rapid engine overheat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information