Thread: Which impeller?

Which impeller?

I have a 98 yamaha GP1200 and I want to replace the impeller with a Solas concord. There seems to be a controversy on with one to use. One web site says to use a 13/19 and another site says 12/18. The engine is completely stock but I do have some other mods. It has a R&D grate, a Riva ride plate and PRO-tec trim tabs. Which impeller do you think I should go with? Any help would be great.
    Budman

+1
    What rpm do you turn with your stock prop 6700-6800 rpm.
    Do you have a riva cdi or raised compresion ?

I'm not sure about the rpm. There are no mods to the engine that I know of. I bought the ski last summer. It runs great and has strong acceleration but the top speed is only about 52 mph on glass. When I test rode it the ski porpoised really bad so I wasn't sure about the top speed. I got the riva ride plate and put a couple of washers under the back two bolts and the porpoising was gone. The yamaha dealer is going to go through the carbs next month and I want them to put on a new impeller. Also I bought a new riva primer kit. The dealership talked me out of going to premix. They said they have never had a ski come in that lost an oil pump.
    Budman

I can't help you with the impeller question but as far as premix I would definately do it. I have been doing side work on skis for about 3 years now and have seen 3 motors toasted from oil injection. None of them had the pump go bad but instead had oil lines come off the carbs. (Big mess) These were all GP1200Rs and considering I only work on around 10 boats a year those seem like unfavorable odds. If you plan to do any kind of performance upgrades you should do it also because you get more consistant and dependable mixture. Just my .02

+1 premix - With injection you Hope the right amount of oil is being supplied to the motor. With premix you KNOW how much is being supplied. With an ageing ski. Why take the chance.

With the prop. I think 13/19 is whats closest to stock pitchs. You will need to make engine modifications to push anything steeper.

+1
    I think the 13/19 needs a bump in compresion to keep the revs up.
    I was running a XO with some mods

YD-SC-X0Impeller, Solas X-Prop, 14.5-17,5 Degree, 155mm (63M;65U) YAM

Top speed is only 52mph with the stock prop you need to look at the pump and impeller to see why.

I think this impeller may be what you need.

YD-SC-XImpeller, Solas Concord, 13-16 Degree, 155mm (63M;65U) YAM

Thanks for the info on the x-prop. I'll check it out on the solas web site.Also I am not sure what is meant by the pump. Is it the water outlet? As for the premix do you guys get a lot of smoke when it idles? What would be the best ratio? Also what is a good oil to use for premix?
    Thanks,
    Budman

Its a 2-stoke so smoke is normal. I mean don't shut the marina down with zero visability or blind the person behind you but smoking is OK. Most people will tell you 32:1 is a good ratio but in my experiance (rode 2-stroke dirt bikes for about 18 years and skis for the last 4) its just too much oil. You dont have powervalves but that excess oil just turns to goo and fouls them right up. My friend has a WaveBlaster and 96 SuperJet he has run at 50:1 since day one and seen no ill effects. Thats a little too lean on the oil for me. I run 40:1 and my ski flies. Have had very little issues with plugs fouling and I have no accelerated wear on pistons, cylinders, crank, ect. Any fully synthetic premix oil will do just fine. I run Motul 8002T.

Thanks for the great info. I guess premix would be a good idea. Even if it does smoke at idle. I was thinking about using Amsoil. It is about he same price as the yamalube that I have been using. The yamalube is just semi synthetic. The riva crew also reccomended the solas x prop. I will order one in a couple of weeks. Thanks

Budman

Thread Information