What to do in this situation??

Ok So before you go on a huge rant on how I should have clamped the hose before towing and how I should have made sure everything was ok before I let it sit for almost 2 months please just understand that all I am looking for is some advice on what to do now.

My last ride of last season was a miserable on, ended with a friend going to the hospital and 2 broken skis but that is not what I am here for. During that entire ordeal, my battery was pretty much shot and I was lucky to get one start out of it so it was left running the entire time I was helping my friend out. After he was taken in by a Fish and Wildlife boat with paramedics it was time for me to start towing in one of the broken skis while a sherrifs boat towed the other. Well I had sucked up so much seaweed into the grate that I could hardly run over 4 mph but i trucked on for nearly 2 miles since there was no other option. After we reached the docks we met with police and gave statements and all that jazz but now it was time to continue to where we put in at. It was dark and the sherriff on board would not let me follow behind him even if my battery would have started. So it was towed by his boat for close to a mile at a fairly low speed, less than 10 kts I would say. After the day this happened I left for home 2 days later and never had a chance to touch the ski except for pulling the seaweed out of the grate.

This weekened I am planning on changing the oil, changing coolant, battery, installing a bilge and a few more odds and ends. What should I look for to see if water got inside the engine? Should I attempt to start it or what? I am pretty much at a loss and dont know where to start with this one. How can I find out if there is damage without causing more??

Sorry for the long post but thanks for the help in advance.

-david

+1
    Pull the plugs first and look for water in the cylinders and or corrosion on the plugs. If the cylinders are dry then I would say your ok. Spin it over with the plugs OUT first before any attempts to start it. Check the oil for water too.
    Good luck with it. Is your buddy OK?

+1
    I would install the fresh battery, pull the plugs and crank her over with the throttle held wide open. Holding the throttle open will keep the ignition from firing while you crank the motor over. Hopefully no water comes shooting out of the cylinders(maybe say a little prayer before cranking). Wish you best of luck.

OBJ

ya friend is fine, thought to of had a broken leg arm and ribs but turned out to be just bruised ribs so all is good, he is in the process of repairing his. I will try what you said with the plugs most likely tommorow and I will let you know how it turns out. thanks again
    -david

Thread Information