Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question RX (no DI) 2001 951 Engine Stoppage

Question for the 951 gurus. I have a 2001 RX that shred a wear ring in the fall. I have replaced the wear ring but the engine seems to be locked up now. Battery is brand new and charged. Starter sounds like it's engaging but can't crank. Is there an easy way to grab the crank/driveshaft and break it loose? I have also put some oil in the spark plug holes about 2 weeks ago in hopes that it would have time to soak in and free the pistons if they had seized slightly, but this has not helped.

Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated. Thanks., Mike

+1
    you might need to take the head off and shoot a pic our way. how about more info. like how long it sat since this happened... did you winterize it?

does the engine move when you hit the start button. If the pump is locked up the engine will move a little from the torque of the starter. If it isnt the pump or shaft bearing then you are looking at some expensive repairs. If the cylinders are stuck the crank will not last long if you manage to break it loose

+1
    Take off the pump, u might of installed it wrong , binding the driveshaft you can test start the ski with the pump off for a few seconds

TLR

It's not the pump because it would not crank with the pump and plugs removed.

The engine does not move when I hit the starter but it sounds like the starter is engaging and under load.

It has been sitting about 3 months. No winterizing. Stored inside. No climate control though.

If I take the head(s) off, and it doesn't look destroyed can I tap the pistons with a wooden stake to try to break it loose if not at TDC?

Is it easier on the engine to break it loose with the crank/driveshaft or a wooden stake on the piston tops?

take the gray plastic cover off of the PTO at the rear of the motor and use your imagination to figure out a way to turn it from there with what tools you have.

was it towed in after shredding the wear ring, might be rusty

No, it wasn't towed at any time.

either way if its stuck the crank more than likely has damage also but it might run for a few hours before it comes apart but I got a whole season out of a noisy crank

yes im having the same problem and would like to know if my starter abendex is just stuck against the flywheel or if its locked up since i havent ran it for a 3 months. i dont have room to get a pipe wrench on the shaft anywhere on my 2000xp. so if i take off the head what should i torc them back to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information