+1

Arrgh! Dammit! Dammit!

Ok, so I did my homework. I've been looking at the MSX140 online for about 18 months. Briefly considered the 150, then back to the 140, and after all the problems with the 140 in '03, I knew I had to find a low-hours 2004 MSX140.

Took a month, but I finally found it. Then, as I start to get into the ski, I find that I've got the wrong rideplate, the 5631257, not the 1598. The rideplate thats supposed to be on the 03 only. There's almost $200 I've gotta spend. Then, I pull the F/A to play around with the TPS, and I find what's in the picture, a holed air temp sensor. Another $70.

What the heck? I thought all these problems were adressed in 2003? I guess the earlier 2004's had the same problems. So what's next? Will my stator start bouncing around on too long screws?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0173.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	467.9 KB 
ID:	115581  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You sure it a 2004?

What are the last four digits on the HIN plate?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Don't panic on the Ride Plate,I'm sure the steeper angle can be machined.(check the msx area). Also,when we get the test rides back from the JIM'S Modded Plate,It might be better to spend the money on having him do the 04 angle and the mod at the same time.

+1
    Definitely an 04 model, in Havasu Red. J304, so manufactured October 2003, as an 04 model.

None of these are big deals, ski runs great as far as I know. Just somewhat frustrating, as I KNEW of these small problems/things to avoid, and thought I was avoiding them....

Smile

Polaris watercraft are like sea-doos and ferraris ,you can look for all the problems,think they are avoided only to have it bite you.You love em and the ride and maint. or you sell them and settle for a kawa or yama.But dont expect kawa reliability from a polaris ,or expect to make a housewife out of your mistress some things are impossible to do ,these are a few that come to mind.Now excuse me while I duck all the tomatos thrown at me!!JMHO>Marvin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    Polaris watercraft are like sea-doos and ferraris ,you can look for all the problems,think they are avoided only to have it bite you.You love em and the ride and maint. or you sell them and settle for a kawa or yama.But dont expect kawa reliability from a polaris ,or expect to make a housewife out of your mistress some things are impossible to do ,these are a few that come to mind.Now excuse me while I duck all the tomatos thrown at me!!JMHO>Marvin

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    ...make a housewife out of your mistress...
    Sometimes that one works out

Just another day trying to break all the rules! drbones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post

Delagem!

If you're worried about reliability! My 03 MSX has 196 hrs! It has always been serviced by my polaris dealer! All known issues covered when they where reported to dealer. He actually called me to let me know about need updates! (Great bunch of guys!)

I ride my MSX in both fresh and salt-water! I flush and clean it with salt-away like a demon possessed!

Only 2 problems I've had since new! One was caused by me! Shorted out the starter relay from battery tender; which had over heated the relay!
    And now just began leaking at carrier bearing after 196 hours!

I ride this PWC hard! Wave jumping, tube pulling, river-running in some times VERY SHALLOW STUMP FILLED ALLIGATOR INFESTED Peace river down here!! (Wrecked my Virage TX hull on this river )

I sorry other owners have not had as great a reliable history as my MSX!

But in my opinion either 03 or 04 140 MSX will make you happy to own this machine!

It was a sad day when Polaris pulled the plug and stopped making this craft! Don't let you chance at owning a piece of history slip away!

Thread Information