Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

oil filter collapse

I recently finished rebuilding a 2004 rxp after a dropped valve. Used all oem parts and changed oil pumps and covers. The first 2 times on the hose I got the p1202 error, but I got that resolved. Sunday I took it out for a spin and after 5 or 6 minutes the oil light came on. Took it home, checked the oil level and then ran on the hose again for about 5 minutes. No lights or codes. Tonight I picked up an oil pressure guage, and before I hooked it up I checked the oil filter. To my surprise it was collapsed. It was a k and n filter, the only non oem part I used. What would cause this? There was a tiny amount of metallic powder in the filter, but this is the first oil in since the rebuild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1259 (Small).JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	115601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1260 (Small).JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	115602  

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    most times usually from water or antifreeze getting into the oil and then gelling up in the filter and the oil can't get sucked thru freely enough and collapses the filter

Brand new head gasket and oil is not milky?? Antifreeze level is not going down and seems to be flowing ok throgh the system.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    Brand new head gasket and oil is not milky?? Antifreeze level is not going down and seems to be flowing ok throgh the system.
    I had one I bought off Ebay, it was slightly collasped when I took it out for next oil change but no codes, I went back OEM

Yeah my first oil change I took filter apart and I couldn''t believe how much metal was in the pleats of the filter, but it never collasped.

There does not appear to be any kind of blockage of the filter. No signs of water that I can tell.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 8 is enough View Post
    There does not appear to be any kind of blockage of the filter. No signs of water that I can tell.
    In your pic it looks like the metal inside the oil filter collasped also. Would have had to have been a defective one for sure? Easy enough put the OEM filter in and then check again after riding, if collasped seems that you would have had extremely high oil pressure.

Definitely collapsed the metal inside. And it seems pretty stout. I will try the oem this weekend, but will test the pressure on a guage while on the hose. Only problem is I can't load the engine while on the hose.

+1
    is it even possible to collapse metal center of the filter from just the oil pump??
    perhaps the filter was installed incorrectly?
    and got crunched when you torqued down the cover??

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    is it even possible to collapse metal center of the filter from just the oil pump??
    perhaps the filter was installed incorrectly?
    and got crunched when you torqued down the cover??
    yes.... even the stock ones will totally collopase.

i've personally only seen it tho on skis with some form of water ingestion whether it be head gasket related or SUNK related.. have no experience with the K&N filters, but stock ones definitely collapse... so much so that seadoo wrote an article for dealers about it

I quess it is possible but I think it would have been hard to crush at 10 or 12 n/m on the torque wrench...I can't remember the exact torque but it was not that much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information