Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

runs rough on initial take off, first started

hello to all, new to this board. i have an 01 gp1200r which has had a few problems since new like the p.v. pins coming out, no damage to pistons though (luck), installed wave eater clips with new valves. i haven't had much time to ride over the past couple of years. what i have found this past season is when first taking off out of the no wake zone under a load the engine shakes, like a cyl or 2 are mis-firing. if you let off and just give light throttle it seems ok. it will clear up under a load and them run ok. if i were to guess it feels like a possible head gasket leak. i did a comp. test last october. i think all 3 were around 135 - 140. i did notice that the readings didn't change with the p.v.'s open or closed. what is the best way to diag. a head gasket with an open cooling system? i could try to pressurize the cyl. with the piston on the comp. stroke and listen for air. any suggestions welcomed since evenin the summer i don't have a ton of time to go back and forth to the lake to "test and tune" . thanks again and this board seems great from what i have seen so far.

+1
    Paul welcome to the hulk..

Have the carbs been cleaned/checked?? Any mods or upgrades?

the mods include a 13/19 prop, riva ride plate, r+d grate, shoe has been sealed, d plate, jet works mod, and the head was shaved to run 92 octane. carbs were taken apart about 7 years ago when i thought they were the issue that the p.v's were causing. it always gets stabilizer in the tank for the last ride of the season to make sure it gets to the carbs.

It almost sounds rich to me, possibly try turning the low speed screws in a bit. Also 7 years is quite long enough without a good carb rebuild and cleaning.

that is probably accurate, but if i take them off then i should use all new gaskets. is there a kit available for the stock carbs? the last time i checked 7 years ago the gaskets were available individually only? also should i start to jet this thing. the plugs always look a bit on the white side after a full throttle run across the lake and shut down into shore without idling to get a good reading.

+1
    IMO start with the basics... replace the plugs and gap correctly first

the plugs were replaced and gapped in the middle of the given range according to the yamaha service manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paul c View Post
    the plugs were replaced and gapped in the middle of the given range according to the yamaha service manual.
    well if the plugs are new and compression is good, then you probably need to dive into them carbs

+1
    Take the carbs apart and check the diaphrams, clean out the low and hi speed jets. I would do this after carbs sat for six month's! I feal bad with mine sitting for a few weeks! lee

now if i remember right shouldn't the cranking pressure change with the p.v's open compared to closed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information