Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

To wedge or not to wedge

Just bought my wife an RXT. The nose seems to be a little too buried. I know you buy a 2 or 2.5 degree wedge for this ski. Does anyone have any FACTS to support a wedge for general use?

I put the 2.0 wedge on my RXT and love it , it keeps the nose up so it do not nose dive into the wakes. a must have if you ride in choppy waters alot.

I have the 2 degree wedge on my RXT, it is now a dream to ride in a chop/swell... it does hole-shot slightly nose-up, but more weight forward solves the porpoising.

Get the Riva top loader intake grate and the 2 degree wedge. Make sure you call and not order online they have the wrong part # online you will get the one for the RXP. The part # for grate is RS22055 the wedge is RS23050.

+1
    Phil; I have a feeling I should hold off on mailing the 2 wear rings you ordered. I think you are going to want the Riva grate and wedge for Kathys ski. Am I right ??

Richard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast
    Phil; I have a feeling I should hold off on mailing the 2 wear rings you ordered. I think you are going to want the Riva grate and wedge for Kathys ski. Am I right ??

Richard
    The wear rings are for my CalJet Monster ski, not Kathy's. Remember, I need the 155mm wear rings.

+1
    Thanks guys. I just ordered the Riva grate and the 2 degree wege from Rich at HP Marine. He has the best deal in town.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i have a 2.5 degree wedge in my RXT.

also, you ain't gonna notice a damn different between 2.5 and 2 degree.... but you'll notice a sdmall difference over stock with either once. drier ride and plows over rough water better.

Speed increase? NONE... that's a fact in my experience with very very very thorough testing of the wedge. it's also been another friend of mine's experience with an RXT... zero speed gain with the wedge. maybe it makes a difference with 1 bar of fuel, but you can't exactly ride very long on one bar of fuel so that's pointless.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    i have a 2.5 degree wedge in my RXT.

also, you ain't gonna notice a damn different between 2.5 and 2 degree.... but you'll notice a sdmall difference over stock with either once. drier ride and plows over rough water better.

Speed increase? NONE... that's a fact in my experience with very very very thorough testing of the wedge. it's also been another friend of mine's experience with an RXT... zero speed gain with the wedge. maybe it makes a difference with 1 bar of fuel, but you can't exactly ride very long on one bar of fuel so that's pointless.
    Thanks Shibby. I am really getting the wedge because my wife has a bad back and she needs a softer ride. However, it is somewhat confusing that the wedge doesn't get you a better top end. Normally, you would figure that getting the nose out of the water would reduce the wetted surface and therefore increase speed. I guess because the jet thrust is now shooting up instead of straight out the back is counteracting the trim effect. My ski (2003 RaceTech 4-TEC) has the ride plate modified by Mark Underwood instead of using the wedge. According to Mark, this is the best possible way to go!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i'll share with you my testing on this issue.... i alays heard and saw advertised speed gains with the wedge.... so i bought one.. installed it on my 03 NA 4-tec last year... take it out and GPS speeds were nothing superb over stock... it was handling where i noticed the difference... oh well, maybe it was me and i was blind to the speed gains or something bc everyone else saw gains.

sold the 03 NA 4-tec.... bought an RXT (kept the wedge before i sold it)

go down to the ramp one fine afternoon... 100% stock RXT .... did about 6-8 speed runs in all difference directions with the GPS until i replicated the same speed 3 times..... recorded that number and my RPMs and fuel level...

blasted to the ramp, pulled the ski out and brought my tools and pulled the pump in the parking lot.... threw the wedge in there, sleaed it all up with insta-gasket.... flew back to the EXACT same test spot with same amount of fuel (maybe 1 gallon less?)... same GPS, same rider, same tide, same conditions..... it was about 25 minute downtime for wedge isntallation so i thought this testing would be perfect bc nothing changed...

same deal... blasted in all different directions 6-8 times and waited till i replicated the same speed 3 times.....

well, the speed that was replcaited was the EXACT same speed i recorded 25 minutes earler without the wedge... same speed to the tenth of an MPH.

i posted this on boards and such, and no one understood it, they all say the machines always benefit, they dunt know why i didnt benefit.... well this is my SECOND seadoo 3 seater with the same wedge that i saw ZERO speed gain from...

like i said it's better in the chop, more nimble, drier, turns better.... that alone is worth the 100 bucks or so taht it costs...

if someone performs my exact above mentioned test with and without the wedge in a GTX/RXT style hull and sees speed gains then i will explore this issue more and test more and see why i have not seen a gain 2 times in a row now.

hope this helps... not bashing the product at all, it provides a better riding experience and handling and dryness and such... but don't count it as a speed booster in my book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information