Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

is this a BIG problem? what are my options?

I bought this 04 rxp off of ebay last week. The thing was in immaculate condition when i went to go look at it. Only 32 hours and the motor runs real strong. I get the thing home and immediatly remove the supercharger and send it out to jerry for some metal washers.

I cant stop looking at the ski so i keep messing with it in the garage, UNTIL I DISCOVERED THIS (SHOWN IN PICS). A big chunk taken out of the gelcoat. How or why i did not look for this or notice this when i was about to make the purchase, i dont know. I should know better considering i have 2 other skis. Anyway i filled up the hull with water and checked for leaks, there was none. But this can not be good. my question is how bad is it? should i fix it? part it out? or am i worrying too much?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	115694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	333333333333333.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	115695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uuuuuuuuuuu.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	115696  

+1
    Where exactly on the ski is this. It looks like on the bottom left side of the hull between the intake grate and ride plate.

Thats a nasty bruise. It looks like you should be able to sand, apply Black Marine Tex, sand, and polish. Should be good to go. Just make sure you take care of that before you use the ski.

Ohh... bad one

Remove the rideplate, grind it down until there's no more cracks, and build it up again with epoxy and fiberglass. There is no use in putting water in the hull to check for leaks... The hull is double

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Looks like the start of a delamination problem. Some '04's suffer this problem when the integrity of the gel coat is compromised and the fiberglass pulls apart due to insufficient resin during the manufacturing. You can fix just the bad spots and wonder if it may get worse or redo the bottom of the hull paying close attention to the area under the fuel tank. This requires pulling the motor and flipping the hull. Depending on what kind of deal you got you might be better off parting it out as the low hour motor is worth $2500-3000 alone. To fix it right will probably run $1000-1500.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I don't know where you are located but I see the NJ reg sticker on the boat. There are several people in the NY/NJ area qualified to look at and advise you on this problem that are members here.

I really like the black pieces on the hood over the chrome parts. Do you know if they are painted or are the replacements?

+1
    how long is the gash?
    post a pic of whole length of underside hull.
    it looks as though its to the rear of the hull, in front of intake grate/rideplate??
    if its just a gash, and not a flap like section peeling off, you can probably get a way with a good fiberglass gelcoat repair. delam will be a potential issue, but that typically would result from damage to the front section of the keel or chines, not from the rear.
    if you are gelocoat fiberglass capable, do the repair yourself, if this is your first attempt at a gelocat repair i would drop it off at a profesional and get it properly patched.
    a patch might be all you need. wont look perfect, but will hold up, if you want perfect, you will have to do entire hull from rubrail down. not worth it or necessary if the gash isnt too big.
    post bigger pics of hull.

thanks for all the input everyone. i have done alot of body work in the past working with body filler and things of that sort. i dont think filling this myself will be all that hard at all but i really am wishing i would have bought new like my other skis. also the black over the chrome i have painted with plastic paint and also replaced the silver hoses above the hood with black hoses looks real good. i almost wanna say if i could get 3k for the motor setup i would part it and just buy a new one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alfmoney View Post
    thanks for all the input everyone. i have done alot of body work in the past working with body filler and things of that sort. i dont think filling this myself will be all that hard at all but i really am wishing i would have bought new like my other skis. also the black over the chrome i have painted with plastic paint and also replaced the silver hoses above the hood with black hoses looks real good. i almost wanna say if i could get 3k for the motor setup i would part it and just buy a new one.
    Idea. Fix the gelcoat, then sell the engine for as much as you can and sell the hull as repaired, and have pictures.

Although, after repairing the gelcoat, I would be inclined to keep it. I have never done any gelcoat work either, but I would attempt this.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    if u really wanna sell it and go buy a new one... i can get you a new one for a good deal and buy that one off you maybe

you gelcoat are begining to delaminated find another hull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information