Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stuck splines - help

Hi all, I just signed up on the forum today after reading through it for the past 3 weeks, I think it is an excellent place to pick up tips on the GP's!, I found out about this site after going to Jerry's store.

Anyway I purchased a 2001 GPR about 3 months ago, I am hooked line and sinker!

Just as i was about to start changing out some bits, i ran into my first major problem - the splines on the shaft are stuck in a big way - I can not remove the pump housing to replace the impellor! the only movement i get moves the entire pump,shaft assembly all the way from the pump housing to the engine coupler. I can't remove the pump at all - Have any of you guys had this probelm? I don't think the ski I bought has ever been fiddled with and that some saltwater got in there and fused it?? If anyone could please help - it would be much appreciated

Thanks

If you can't pull out your shaft due to a spline issue I would wonder why??? Did the last owner suck up a rope? I've seen that get ugly! Something like that could cause major damage! If you need to replace the shaft from the coupler back that's not going to be cheap!!!

It shouldn't be extremely hard to pull it and I don't think salt growth would make it that hard (it would take a lot!)

not too sure what the last owner did, I purchase it a 98hrs, the ski runs great I have put 20 hrs in already, and the impellor/liner is in good condition, no marks that would indicate something heavy going through there.

The shaft is severly stuck,- on my mates GPR the pump/shaft just slides out with a little tug, mine feels like it is welded! (checked for that too and no marks)

I have also gently bashed the housing with some wood after some bracing in the engine bay, and it still won't come off/out. Worried I will break something soon so i stopped.

[quote="Brutus"]not too sure what the last owner did, I purchase it a 98hrs, the ski runs great I have put 20 hrs in already, and the impellor/liner is in good condition, no marks that would indicate something heavy going through there.

The shaft is severly stuck,- on my mates GPR the pump/shaft just slides out with a little tug, mine feels like it is welded! (checked for that too and no marks).../quote]

That how it should be!

If a rope got sucked up it there may not be any sign of it in the form of vissable damage. All it would take is one good suck of a rope to twist that shaft if it was at any speed! You should take it in and have a tech try, they may have a puller that could get it out or some method that wouldn't hurt anything else...

I live out way in the boonies on a mine site town in Borneo not too many yamaha techs around, lots of ski's here but all have not seen this problem till mine came around. We rang up the dealer in JKT, and one of the mechanics said to tie some rope around the pump, and a tree, then tighten the rope with a length of pipe to get it out! I have not tried this yet! don't think I will, sounds like tying your tooth off to the door!.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus
    I live out way in the boonies on a mine site town in Borneo not too many yamaha techs around, lots of ski's here but all have not seen this problem till mine came around. We rang up the dealer in JKT, and one of the mechanics said to tie some rope around the pump, and a tree, then tighten the rope with a length of pipe to get it out! I have not tried this yet! don't think I will, sounds like tying your tooth off to the door!.
    Are you talking about the pump assembly or the prop and shaft??? That's two different things!

I am trying to remove the Jet pump unit, so i can get to the impeller to change out - sorry not to good on the terminology yet.

+1
    yes this problem occurs

If you do the tree trick be VERY careful (I wouldn't do the tree trick) - the pump / intermediate shaft assembly are held in place by a transom that is just 1/4 thick SMC

you might try heating up the intermediate shaft, unfortunately it is not loctite that you are loosening, it is corroded metal

if it truly won't come out and you want to replace the impeller you could
    - unbolt the motor and slide it forward
    - remove the 3 bolts that hold the intermediate shaft in place
    - cut the driveshaft
    yes I realize this is a lot of work

I always have used driveshafts and intermediate shafts for sale (just for this reason)

[email protected]

+1
    Brutus,

This may not help at all, and I realize that this is a new boat to you and you are concerned about no hurting anything, but consider this:

I had the same problem with a 2000 model I bought a few months ago. There are a couple of ears on the pump that were put there to help seperate the pump assembly from the impeler liner. Of course I used two screwdrivers to pop them apart, but it would only move out about an inch.
    What I did was use a couple of thin pieces of wood to protect the machined surfaces and continue to pry the pump away from the liner. After I got it out about 2 inches, I pushed the pump back in, then pried it back apart. I did this over and over again until it became loosened.

It took me about 30-45 minutes, but eventually I got them to come apart. It was nothing but brute strength and patience.

It is exactly what you think. Salt has gotten in between the splines and semiwelded the pump shaft to the intermediate shaft. The only part that you can hurt is the machined surfaces of the pump and liner. Just make sure that you pull it out straight so as not to bend the shaft.

Hope this helps.

+1
    I've had to do EXACTLY what Salty did... and I removed the rideplate to make it easier to get to the tabs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information