Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951... motor stuff

I picked up a siezed 951 today brought it home to see the back cylinder had beaten it self some.(I knew this when I bought it, thats why it was priced so I could buy it ) I pulled the motor out tonight, It looks like the oil injection has been disconnected and plugged and left half full to trick the sensor. The owner said it was suppose to run on premix, no idea whey it died. I pulled the motor and nothing looks out of the ordinary except the Needle bearings on the bad piston were gone... The crank is and case look and feel to be in great shape, not worried about the crank but I am thinking I ought to split the case and look for more needles to make sure I dont throw money away... Its in a 99 seadoo xp limited...

My next question is,

Is there any thing special about these cylinders and can I just have 2 new holes punched after the problem is figured out and put it back in...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9384.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	115748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9385.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	115749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9392.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	115750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9388.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	115751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9393.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	115752  

Quote Originally Posted by chritopherlloyd View Post
    I picked up a siezed 951 today brought it home to see the back cylinder had beaten it self some.(I knew this when I bought it, thats why it was priced so I could buy it ) I pulled the motor out tonight, It looks like the oil injection has been disconnected and plugged and left half full to trick the sensor. The owner said it was suppose to run on premix, no idea whey it died. I pulled the motor and nothing looks out of the ordinary except the Needle bearings on the bad piston were gone... The crank is and case look and feel to be in great shape, not worried about the crank but I am thinking I ought to split the case and look for more needles to make sure I dont throw money away... Its in a 99 seadoo xp limited...

My next question is,

Is there any thing special about these cylinders and can I just have 2 new holes punched after the problem is figured out and put it back in...
    IMO, you should rebuild it from bottom to top, the guy i bought my xpl from thought the crank was in great shape and just redid the top end, well 30 hours later it snapped a rod and cracked my crankcase all the way around. it will cost more money up front, but atleast you know what your working with, and it will save you money.

I agrea with abarrassr07 You are wasting money and time if you do a half assed rebuild. You cant see the crank journals or examine the needles also the 951 seals are not none for thier long life. IMO you need to pull it all te way downa and only use that crank if its perfect looking and sounding. You can do it once or doit twice I think you can figure out whitch is cheeper

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I agrea with abarrassr07 You are wasting money and time if you do a half assed rebuild. You cant see the crank journals or examine the needles also the 951 seals are not none for thier long life. IMO you need to pull it all te way downa and only use that crank if its perfect looking and sounding. You can do it once or doit twice I think you can figure out whitch is cheeper
    I am all for doing a complete rebuild on most motors that appreciate a good rebuild but it would seem that after everything I have read that the 951 is a ticking time bomb (I had heard this for ever but never understood till now) and a waste of money to spend 1500 every time it decides to let go. The most common problem I read is water injestion and lack of lubing the counter balance gear through the little plug or it chomps up a rave valve. Along with the other common motor failures do to poor maintenance like letting a carb get clogged because one never checks or changes the big filters till its to late. I heard most the time these motors dont like to go more then 100 hrs and if it does it probably was the nicest 100 hours its ever seen. I for one will never purchase one to keep for myself, this one will likely hit the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by chritopherlloyd View Post
    I am all for doing a complete rebuild on most motors that appreciate a good rebuild but it would seem that after everything I have read that the 951 is a ticking time bomb (I had heard this for ever but never understood till now) and a waste of money to spend 1500 every time it decides to let go. The most common problem I read is water injestion and lack of lubing the counter balance gear through the little plug or it chomps up a rave valve. Along with the other common motor failures do to poor maintenance like letting a carb get clogged because one never checks or changes the big filters till its to late. I heard most the time these motors dont like to go more then 100 hrs and if it does it probably was the nicest 100 hours its ever seen. I for one will never purchase one to keep for myself, this one will likely hit the chopping block.
    Lack of lubing the counter balance shaft has nothing to do with "chomping up a rave". Looking at the pic of that motor, if it wasn't due to lack of fuel, i would say an air leak somewhere. Maybe a blown base gasket?

I said "or" chomping a rave valve, didnt imply they were related... base gasket looked pretty good, I had a triple loose a crank seal once and it didnt do this much damage, I havent opened the carbs yet

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pull the rear carb apart and see if the filter screen is clogged, I bet it is. And does it still have the Tempo 8710 fuel lines? 99 year was the worst for them breaking down.

That seems like the most likely cause, he said it sat for awhile then took it out and it died that trip. Will open the carbs tomorrow

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Good find, Chris! Those 951's sound nasty for sure! Hope you get it running!

Never herd of a 951 tearing up a Rave Valve it sounds more like a Yamahog problem. Lack. The 951 suffers from what all seadoos doo they dont like dumbashes. You dont take care of it and dont notice you lost a few hundred RPM or just ride it like daddy will fix it. Filling it up with water or never looking at the engine till it wont start its going to be a POS. I have had 7 Seadoo's I lost 2 engines one 580 and one 951 the 580 I caused by not boring it and it had a ring tear up the wall. The 951 was an XPL that I thought would finish out the tank of gass after the oil light came on. It didnt and I replaced the crank just as insurance I caught it before it ruined both pistons. You reap what you sew 4 were 951's one 787 one 580 one 04 GTX-SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information