Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHY stop in 04

Joiseyboy

WHY stop in 04

I can't understand whyPolaris stopped manufacturing watercraft in 2004. If anyboy out there knows why, let me know. people ask me why and all I can do is shrug my shoulders and say .........I DUNNO!!!

+1
    They stopped because it did not make business sense. In other words, they could not sell enough PWC to make a profit.
    At this point I suprised Honda still manufactures PWC.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Search and yea shall find...

There were several factors that appear to have contributed to the Polaris decision to exit the PWC business, including expensive product liability lawsuits, the need to allocate corporate funds to other Polaris divisions, and a concern regarding a shrinking Polaris PWC marketplace (2005 onwards, in the shadow of Sea-Doo and Yamaha).

Polaris also had the challenge of finding replacements for the Ficht fuel injection system used in the two stroke engines (which they were then buying from SeaDoo, after Bombardier purchased Evinrude), and the German sourced Weber four stroke engines, which were not available in larger power outputs.

Polaris needed to either invest significantly in the PWC business to rebuild and strengthen the product line, or exit.

Interesting PWIA document.

Anybody know if Polaris got rid of all their PWC stuff. Moulds, tooling, designs, patents, etc? Or are they still sitting on all of their designs and equipment.

Do you think Polaris will go after somone if they rip off a watercraft patent/design?

I still think there is a market for the MSX type watercraft. Something smaller and more fuel efficent than the "boats" that they are making now. But after Polaris screwed all the people that bought their watercraft, they would have a hard time to convince new buyers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    Anybody know if Polaris got rid of all their PWC stuff. Moulds, tooling, designs, patents, etc? Or are they still sitting on all of their designs and equipment.

Do you think Polaris will go after somone if they rip off a watercraft patent/design?

I still think there is a market for the MSX type watercraft. Something smaller and more fuel efficent than the "boats" that they are making now. But after Polaris screwed all the people that bought their watercraft, they would have a hard time to convince new buyers.
    I believe that polaris can discontinue parts I think 5years after the production model ends(dont quote me on this it was mentioned here on the site somewhere)

I think it is 10 years, but I meant all the non parts stuff. Designs, testing equipment, tooling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post

Anyone would go after someone who steals a patent or design. The company would go after you financially, but the law would tear you apart.

+1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Search and yea shall find...

There were several factors that appear to have contributed to the Polaris decision to exit the PWC business, including expensive product liability lawsuits, the need to allocate corporate funds to other Polaris divisions, and a concern regarding a shrinking Polaris PWC marketplace (2005 onwards, in the shadow of Sea-Doo and Yamaha).

Polaris also had the challenge of finding replacements for the Ficht fuel injection system used in the two stroke engines (which they were then buying from SeaDoo, after Bombardier purchased Evinrude), and the German sourced Weber four stroke engines, which were not available in larger power outputs.

Polaris needed to either invest significantly in the PWC business to rebuild and strengthen the product line, or exit.

Interesting PWIA document.
    K447, man you know your stuff I would love to see polaris or some rich business company restart the polaris line of watercraft

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by navx View Post
    Anyone would go after someone who steals a patent or design. The company would go after you financially, but the law would tear you apart.

Really???

HMMMM....

These are in Worcester, MA. USA....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X700GT 005.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	960.8 KB 
ID:	115872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X700GT 006.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	115873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X700GT 007.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	115874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X700GT 013.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	115875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X700GT 021.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	115876  

Cheap Chinese knock off? The casting on the pipe looks pretty crappy.

You think Polaris sold them the hull molds, patterns and designs to generate some cash? Or just a complete rip off??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information