Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 yamaha suv1200 NON Power Valve upgrades

Hello, to anyone out there which could help me on doing some upgrades to my 2002 yamaha suv1200. I am looking at getting all this for my ski and don't know if it will help or not. I am looking to get a intake grate, prop, air filters, jetting the carbs, taking out the oil tank and blocking off the holes and going to premix, computer chip ?????? not sure what to get for i was told there is a chip but can't find out which one, and maybe a wake up kit by Protec which consist of intake system, reeds, reed stuffers, carb jetting, gaskets all for $855.00 I will not get this if all the other stuff will help with performace. Anyone with this same ski that has any mods done if you could write back and let me know with what helped on yours and if you dont have the same ski please let me know with what your input is.
    I would like to know with which prop to get 11/14 12/19 13/19 14/20 I would like not to loose any of the top end or out of the hole. thanks

+1
    There is not a whole lot you can do with these skis believe me I have tried. I added the following with good results and longevity.

• Boyesson Pro two stage reed with R&D stuffers
    • GroupK cut OEM head (Only ones that will cut it)
    • R&D Power plenum (Best for this motor IMO)
    • Rejetted carbs (1.5 N&S, Gold 115spring, 100p,135m, removed choke plates)
    • Premix with block off.
    • Primer, mounted it where the choke used to be.
    • 13/19 solas concord repitched to 11/17.5 by Impros
    • R&D XLT intake grate
    • Riva XLT pump plug kit and sealed pump shoe.
    • ProTec Rideplate. (did not porpoise like the R&D one did)
    I have tried several combinations and this worked good for me. There is no "Magic chip" don't fall for the ebay scam stuff. Aftermarket ignitions are available but not worth it for these skis. This ski is a great Family ski you will never get much out of it in the way of holeshot or speed (55mph best) everybody rides mine it is the workhorse pulls tubes, three up etc. Enjoy

Thanks for the info it helps alot

Thanks alot this helps me with making my descions. I know alot about bikes and sold mine to do something with my son and wife all together and love everything so far, however for me i love making what i have better then stock. I am going to do everything you recommeded however i will not be doing the head. My last question is what is the pump plug kit and seal pump shoe. What does this do and how will make mine better with responce, ride, take off. what will it improve on. Oh do you have any mods done for your air filters if not will it help with mine.
    See I know alot about bikes, and if you jet the carbs you need to get a high flow air filter and change out the exhaust canister, do they even make an exhaust for this ski. I know if you change one thing you need to change something else to compensate the other to make it all work together. thanks. Not to scare you but if you would like to call me or me call you this way i can just ask all the question at once. what ever you like its your call and i wont be upsetif calling is out of the question. thanks and ride safe. Your friend craig in florida. 561-889-6620

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    There is not a whole lot you can do with these skis believe me I have tried. I added the following with good results and longevity.

• Premix with block off.
    • R&D XLT intake grate
    I have tried several combinations and this worked good for me. There is no "Magic chip" don't fall for the ebay scam stuff. Aftermarket ignitions are available but not worth it for these skis. This ski is a great Family ski you will never get much out of it in the way of holeshot or speed (55mph best) everybody rides mine it is the workhorse pulls tubes, three up etc. Enjoy

Crap, i just looked up what a Power Plenum is and guess what they are air filters, I guess wave runners have different names for stuff other then bikes. No need to anwser the question on air filters, well maybe one, did you need adapters for the filters. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post

• Premix with block off.
    • R&D XLT intake grate

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Didn't someone put a 4-Tec or Yamaha 4-stroke motor in an SUV hull?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkit View Post
    Crap, i just looked up what a Power Plenum is and guess what they are air filters, I guess wave runners have different names for stuff other then bikes. No need to anwser the question on air filters, well maybe one, did you need adapters for the filters. Thanks
    Yes the filters need adapters. R&D has two different types one is called a pro-loc and uses thier special pro-loc adapter which is nice as it snaps on and no hose clamps are required. The other is a slip on type which is common to the industry with many available adapter choices out there.

The pump plug kit is urethane plugs that fill the voids in the casting of your pump shoe. You remove the shoe glue in the pieces and trim them flush then seal the pump shoe with 3m 4200. there are several threads here on this.

If you go with the milled OEM head it gives two benefits. Much improved bottom end punch which is needed with the big skis and the oem has proven cooling capabilities. I run my ski on 91 octane.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Didn't someone put a 4-Tec or Yamaha 4-stroke motor in an SUV hull?
    Yep Daniel did this, but it is not first on my list when someone asks about upgrades on an SUV, this is more of an extreme makeover http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23078

im not positive but i think some one on gh loaded one up with a mercrusier too..

+1
    I didn't like any of the aftermarket rideplates that I've been on so far.

Bill on your ski, the one time I rode it, it was quite bouncy, to the point of being ridiculous. What did you finalize on that?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    I didn't like any of the aftermarket rideplates that I've been on so far.

Bill on your ski, the one time I rode it, it was quite bouncy, to the point of being ridiculous. What did you finalize on that?
    Took off the R&D and went back to the Pro-Tec. The Pro-Tec has about an inch added to what would be a stock plate, it worked the best with no porpoising. I agree with the R&D it was ridiculous, these do not seem to like the flat bottom of the R&D/Riva style or too much added lenght and angle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information