First ski advice.

Hi, first post.
    I have been bitten by the ski bug and now want to get one. I have been led to believe that Yamaha's are the way to go. There is a 1100 waveventure for sale locally with a damaged middle piston.
    The ski looks like selling for 2-3k aud. It seems in really good condition with a trailer. Is this a ski that would be worth rebuilding without over capitalizing? I am a mechanic and should be able to handle the rebuild myself provided I can be made aware of any things that may not be obvious to someone who is not experienced in Yamaha skis.
    Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Baz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thebaz View Post
    Hi, first post.
    I have been bitten by the ski bug and now want to get one. I have been led to believe that Yamaha's are the way to go. There is a 1100 waveventure for sale locally with a damaged middle piston.
    The ski looks like selling for 2-3k aud. It seems in really good condition with a trailer. Is this a ski that would be worth rebuilding without over capitalizing? I am a mechanic and should be able to handle the rebuild myself provided I can be made aware of any things that may not be obvious to someone who is not experienced in Yamaha skis.
    Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Baz

Baz,
    That ski is not worth that damaged in the US by far. I've seen well running Ventures go for considerably less. You can rebuild it for a nominal price but you also have to determine why it lost #2 which leads to carbs likely needing rebuilt ...which you want to do it right which means Needles/Seats etc. You would have at least 400 in the build or more depending on the damage. I would pass for 2k

M

bro please listen to peavler...i got burned so bad i was feeling just like you when i bought my boat, i had alot of money saved up and i was dying to spend some fast but i bought it with out thinking and ended up with a real lemon.. get your self a really clean gp1200 from what i have experanced on this forum, there is always some one here that can help..also the people in the old school community are very tightly knit and are also quiet welcoming to newcomers welcoming..oh and you cant go wrong trying to build a gp there are lots of used and new parts floating around with a hell of a discount

Thanks for the info guys.
    I know that it is risky buying something like this, but from what I can make out skis here are way more expensive than in the US. A 2K ski is almost unheard of unless you are talking WR500F etc. It is summer here now so there may be some better deals in winter. Are the GP1200's way superior to the 1100 ventures? The GP1200s seem to bring good money here.
    Baz

+1
    Welcome to the school of old...

The Venture and the GP are two totally different ski's, other than the motors being similar. The Venture is a big comfortable cruiser with good power and can ride two adults and a small child, and will handle rough waters easier than a GP. The GP is more performance oriented, much lighter, and a completely different "beast". Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thread Information