GPR losing battery voltage help!!!!!

hi guys im new to the forum and new to riding. I just bought an 03 GPR about 2 months ago and i am having problems with losing voltage while i ride. I replaced the stock battery when i bought it with a $40 battery from west marine and recently purchased the odyssey 625. Both batteries charge to a full charge (12.865) on the odyssey i believe. When i put the battery in and start the ski the in dash volt meter reads 12.3 volts, as does my digital voltmeter. the last 3 times i have ridden the ski i was out for about 2 hours each ride and the voltage dropped from 12.3 to around 11.6-11.5. From what i have read it couldnt be my charging system because if it was malfunctioning i would lose much more voltage and i would lose it much faster. I am thinking it could be a short or bad ground, but like i said i am new with waverunners so i am up for suggestions. any imput would be extremely appreciated. thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpr_436.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	5714  

+1
    my boat has done that for 3 years, and i still have the same battery (Odessey). Amy's 2005 is doing it too. 12 to 11 , 12 to 11 back and forth all day long on both skis----it's never been a problem.

Hope that this helps - and i would venture to say that this must be a normal thing for the GPR's.

thanks for the reply, but the voltage doesnt go back up to 12 it drops further down everytime i ride unless i charge it.

I would take your digital voltmeter and start looking for leaks to ground. i.e. disconnect electronic bilge at plug, measure resistance to ground at plug connection towards bilge pump, etc. Does your battery spark when you engage the ground lead? I would guess that its even possible that the bilge pump is drawing too much current although if that was the case, I assume the 3 amp fuse would blow.
    Is the charging circuit working? If you measure your voltage before starting it, then compare it to immediately after starting it, does the voltage increase slightly? If not, then

-battery (you've ruled that out)
    -battery leads
    -Rectifier/regulator (left side of electrical box, has heat transfer fins)
    -lighting coil
    -Fuses

Did you ever get a code "19" on your display? (code 19 = incorrect battery voltage)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charging_454.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5715  

Apologize for the poor scan . I need to update this dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by B-moreGPR03 View Post
    hi guys im new to the forum and new to riding. I just bought an 03 GPR about 2 months ago and i am having problems with losing voltage while i ride. I replaced the stock battery when i bought it with a $40 battery from west marine and recently purchased the odyssey 625. Both batteries charge to a full charge (12.865) on the odyssey i believe. When i put the battery in and start the ski the in dash volt meter reads 12.3 volts, as does my digital voltmeter. the last 3 times i have ridden the ski i was out for about 2 hours each ride and the voltage dropped from 12.3 to around 11.6-11.5. From what i have read it couldnt be my charging system because if it was malfunctioning i would lose much more voltage and i would lose it much faster. I am thinking it could be a short or bad ground, but like i said i am new with waverunners so i am up for suggestions. any imput would be extremely appreciated. thanks
    hello did you ever solve your voltage prob because mine has started doing it too

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by B-moreGPR03 View Post
    ...batteries charge to a full charge (12.865) on the odyssey i believe. When i put the battery in and start the ski the in dash volt meter reads 12.3 volts, as does my digital voltmeter. the last 3 times i have ridden the ski i was out for about 2 hours each ride and the voltage dropped from 12.3 to around 11.6-11.5. From what i have read it couldn't be my charging system because if it was malfunctioning i would lose much more voltage and i would lose it much faster...<= This diagnosis is incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    ...mine has started doing it too
    When the charging system is working correctly, the battery voltage should immediately jump up to around 14.0 volts when the engine starts. It should remain around 14ish volts while the engine runs, and only drop down to 12.x volts when the engine is shut off.

If the voltage sits at 12.x volts with the engine running, then the charging system is NOT charging the battery.

A 12 volt electrical system is only 12 volts when the engine is not running. When the engine is running, it is effectively a 14 volt electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When the charging system is working correctly, the battery voltage should immediately jump up to around 14.0 volts when the engine starts. It should remain around 14ish volts while the engine runs, and only drop down to 12.x volts when the engine is shut off.

If the voltage sits at 12.x volts with the engine running, then the charging system is NOT charging the battery.

A 12 volt electrical system is only 12 volts when the engine is not running. When the engine is running, it is effectively a 14 volt electrical system.
    YEP!!
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    hello did you ever solve your voltage prob because mine has started doing it too

check the conection on your voltage regulator for corroded pins...

Thread Information