Need some help on deciding what to do.

i picked up a 1997 wave venture 1100 the other day for a $300. Knowing that it wasnt running.. When i was tearing down the motor i discovered that the #1 piston was destroyed, and the sleeve had a crack on 1 of the intake ports. Today i was goin through the crank and 1 of the main bearings are coming apart. I know how to resleeve the cylinder but i dont have the tools or equipment to take the crank apart. Looking for some recomendations on what to do. Any help would be grateful.

welcome to greenhulk you have come to the right place for your answers. At this point you have a couple of options to go with. If you search around the classified section you may already find someone who has the parts you need or you start a post stating what you are looking for and someone may have one laying about. I would recomend looking for a tru and welded crank. This will add life to the ski.
    Another issue you are going to come across is the reason the number1 failed. This is probably a carb issue so while you have the motor apart this is a good time to go thru those.
    Use the search feature on this site and you can find a ton of helpful information on everything about your ski and engine.
    One last option you may concider since you got the ski for so cheap is to convert the motor to a 1200 engine. I personaly would go this route because the engines are basicly the same except the bore and a few other minor parts to switch over. This information can also be found useing the search feature.

Im pretty sure #1 failed because one of the oil pump lines came off the pump. I will be running premix. once i have it rebuilt. What can you recommend about sbt motors?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoward81 View Post
    Im pretty sure #1 failed because one of the oil pump lines came off the pump. I will be running premix. once i have it rebuilt. What can you recommend about sbt motors?

(Flame Throwers away boyz) I ran a SBT crank for easily 100+ hours and never had a single issue. I've also installed numerous engines of theirs and those skis run still today 5 years later. The downfall to their engines is they usually are at max bore which means you will need new cylinders and or sleeves when it's time for a rebuild. They have a great warranty but nothing is like an OEM factory welded crank and some good PRO-X and OEM Yamaha pistons.

M

im looking for the best way to go here . Do i spend 400 on a crank and 250 on piston and a sleeve ,then have it bored ? or do i just go ahead and buy a engine for 950 from sbt which is ready to go. im leaning toward a new engine because of the crank.

I'd go with a crank,sleeve/piston and gaskets.. you can prob find good used stuff(crank) here on the classifieds (our guys won't tolerate an unscrupulus seller on the boards here). you are half way there already and you then know exactly what you have.... if you dont wish to build it yourself go with the reman... there are mixed feelings about sbt engines then theres core vaue to figure will you get it all or partial credit ..... i look at building it as being a learning experiance and then you can spend the extra $'s saved ,on other go faster parts..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    I'd go with a crank,sleeve/piston and gaskets.. you can prob find good used stuff(crank) here on the classifieds (our guys won't tolerate an unscrupulus seller on the boards here). you are half way there already and you then know exactly what you have.... if you dont wish to build it yourself go with the reman... there are mixed feelings about sbt engines then theres core vaue to figure will you get it all or partial credit ..... i look at building it as being a learning experiance and then you can spend the extra $'s saved ,on other go faster parts..

Well said.....I can't agree more with the Learning and knowing what you have part. That's what made me lear about 2 strokes PWC engines!

Thread Information