Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1

Hardwood Floor Q's

Im looking around for hard wood floor options. I dont want to go the cheapie route. I want to do this right. The room Im trying to do is going to be an entertainment/bar room and it is 14'x17' and would like to use something at least 3/4" thick and 3-5" wide. Ive looked around and not sure what company to go with or who has the best deal. Any help is always apprecieated.

Don't use a pre finished floor. My opinion is what ever floor you decide on have polyurethane put on it. We did our own after buying new house and used a pre finished. We love the floor, but trust me, a finished on site floor is better. The floor needs to be sealed. A pre finished floor is not sealed.

David

I agree with above.

3/4 inch and NOT prefinished and be sure to use polyurethane...its a multi day smelly process and you are best just moving out for a few days...but it by far looks/lasts the best. Its also no more expensive than a lot of pre-finished stuff.

A few years of hard use - sand it and re-oil it. Looks brand new.

good luck!

+1
    yea, I didnt want to use a prefinished floor. Im looking for virgin hardwood like what was installed in houses back in the day. I was originally thinking of stripping a corn crib down and using wood from that for the floor but the crib that I wanted to use got torn down last week.

A lot of "re-claimed" wood is pine.

Looks great when finished but it's still pine....soft...will show every dent and ding....unless you want a distressed look.

Back in the day flooring was made from planks...wide...some were really wide. Looks cool and all but when wood strinks..and it will...the gaps will be bigger. A 5" or less width is fine when installing kiln dried tongue and groove material...w/proper acclimation and installation.

I recently finished working with 100 year old re-claimed "heart pine". They pulled these huge beams outa this old warehouse and cut it down to make whatever the client wanted...8" dutch lap siding, 5/4 x8, x10, x12. I used all the 5/4 stuff to make box beams for a coffered ceiling. The siding was used horizontally for wainscoting around the room and in front of a bar...a large bar. I wish they'd not of stained it, just a clear coat woulda been nice. In the end it all looked great.

What really struck me about the wood though....even as old as it was...the saw dust was still moist. If the material had sat around for a while it woulda twisted every which a way.

My son wants me to do his downstairs which is approx 1200 sq. ft. We went to Lumber Liquidators and got some samples. All the samples were prefinished. Most of the butt ends on the samples were off by at least 1/16" on the height and would not lay flat. If I was you, I would buy unfinished hardwood and sand it, stain it and finish it to match your needs... Ron

Then look to see if they have all the finishing trim to match your floor... Ron

+1
    Go with 3/4 inch for sure. Now if you want a quicker cost effecticve and clean job you can use Prefinished as long as it is installed correctly. Now if you want a more expensive high quality job, get the unfinished. This is installed then sanded to a smooth finish. It is much more messy in a remodel situation but produces a better finish product.

+1
    This is going to be a remodel job. I really want to keep it kinda roughed up like the siding or flooring out of a corn crib. Ive been looking at reclaimed wood and prefinished too. I think that i would really like the reclaimed wood. so which place has the best price?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    This is going to be a remodel job. I really want to keep it kinda roughed up like the siding or flooring out of a corn crib. Ive been looking at reclaimed wood and prefinished too. I think that i would really like the reclaimed wood. so which place has the best price?
    Reclaimed wood can be great because it is already seasoned for sure. You have to have it milled and even if you get the wood for free you still have the cost of milling. If the reclaimed look is what you want they make the prefinished with that in mind. Then there is the ease of the install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information