+1

Should I be able to get a broken ride plate insert covered under warranty?

The end of one of my ride plate inserts snapped off while pulling my plate. The boat is only 6 mo's old and I've always been careful not to overtorque the bolts. Also, I always dunk my ski & trailer in a freshwater lake after riding in the ocean so it shouldn't be a corrosion(wear & tear) issue. I called Riva to see if replacing the insert would be covered under warranty and was told no since I'm the one who removed the bolt...however, if they had broken it doing the same thing it would be covered. Does this sound right to you guys?

+1
    I would think its your dealers call IMO.If they will not cover it,just buy a replacement insert and do it yourself.Just make sure you glue it back down to seal it,3M4200/5200.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    I would think its your dealers call IMO.If they will not cover it,just buy a replacement insert and do it yourself.Just make sure you glue it back down to seal it,3M4200/5200.
    I'm considering doing it myself, but the plate inserts on the SHO are pretty hard to reach unless you have go go gadget arms. I remember reading the easiest way to remove the green goo is to heat & chisel/pry it off. After it's been removed, how hard is it to get the insert out?

+1
    Thought we were talking GPR here. Heat gun, and wedge/chisel pry off the old one.Wear a resperator and be careful of the fumes.I have not removed inserts on a SHO so im not familiar with the amount of work involved.Same idea on a GPR though.

+1
    Thanks for the help Woody. They are the same type of inserts that the GPR uses.

+1
    they should cover it.....

Moderated
    is it my imagination or am i reading of a quite few cases of new SHO owners snapping bolts when taking parts off...???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    is it my imagination or am i reading of a quite few cases of new SHO owners snapping bolts when taking parts off...???

The ride plate bolts have been out several times prior in the past few weeks so they weren't frozen up. Also, I've always used hand tools to avoid this happening rather than reaching for pneumatics. I guess I just have rotten luck. My first time pulling the pump should be good for a laugh:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...hlight=murphys

I crawled back in the hull to see how much room I had to work and will be a bitch to do myself...It's a job for a skinny guy with long arms. Am still considering shelling out for the labor to save myself the headache if I can't get it done under warranty.

Thread Information