Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Converting the learning key

I was told the dealer can "reset" the key and I could use as a back up. My questions are can any dealer do this and what do they charge? My nearest dealer is 30 miles from here and I have ZERO confidence in them so should I take to someone I trust or is this dummy proof?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it's dummy proof

there's no "resetting" the key...

they simply need to delete the current learning key from the ECU, then add a "normal key" but use the learning key as the donor normal key...

what i would do personally... just take all the keys that you have for that ski.. bring it to dealer, tell him delete all the keys off the ECU and program all the ones you have for it as Normal keys

most dealers have a minimum shop charge or flat rate computer time fee usually

The learn key can be like a regular key just has to be programed that way.Some dealers will not do it for liability reasons.It only takes a couple min. so not sure what they will charge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    it's dummy proof

there's no "resetting" the key...

they simply need to delete the current learning key from the ECU, then add a "normal key" but use the learning key as the donor normal key...

what i would do personally... just take all the keys that you have for that ski.. bring it to dealer, tell him delete all the keys off the ECU and program all the ones you have for it as Normal keys

most dealers have a minimum shop charge or flat rate computer time fee usually
    +1...

IIWY I would call them and ask what they charge. A dealer in NY might charge a different price than a dealer in FL. I am sure that dealers change differently... Ron

+1
    Thanks guys. I figured it would be a minimal charge, just worried that these guys would screw my ride up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Thanks guys. I figured it would be a minimal charge, just worried that these guys would screw my ride up.
    changing spark plugs requires more intuition than programming a key... they wont fug it up dont worry

i can do it for you over mail-order if you have any problems... would need your ECU and keys that's it.

+1
    changing spark plugs requires more intuition than programming a key... they wont fug it up dont worry

i can do it for you over mail-order if you have any problems... would need your ECU and keys that's it.
    shibby, where is the dealership that you work at located? i might bring my ski to you guys instead of where I bring mine...

+1

Again, never say never.
    I called the "local" dealer this morning and told the guy what I wanted; he said sure, no problem, bring it in. I get there, back the ski in the shop, tell the tech what I wanted and he said that it was impossible to do this. I even repeated my request and he said no way; I could buy a new key and they could program it, but he could not change the learning key to the standard key. Needless to say, I pulled the ski out of their shop, bought oil and a filter, and I got the hell out of there.
    ASSHOLES!
    I now know without a doubt that I will have to bring my ski to Houston for any service.

+1
    shoulda told him to humor you... give it a shot, if ur right it's free of charge and they learned something new... if he is right u pay them, lol

alot of dealer mechanics and service places are BY THE BOOK only... huge majority of them are... seadoo doesn't tell u, oh yea u can program any key to do anything... not in the manual, there's no detailed explanation about how keys work and the encryption ad differences between the colors of the lanyard. it's up to them to screw around, try things, learn tricks, educate urself a little, and of course being involved in the web with other enthusiasts helps you be a better mechanic to your local customers... my involvement in the sport and online has aided me tremendously at my job as an employee in service for watercraft, and i pass on what i learn to my co-workers. there's a very very tiny percentage of watercraft shops participating to that extent... like i said, they are by the book, and they only know what they learned at school or whats in the shop manual... which we all know, u learn from real world situations, not school or a book.

i am always visiting other dealers, working boat shows, once in awhile getting hired part time to help a struggling seadoo dealerships locally get off their feet and teach the tech guys some tricks and common trouble areas..... i dont think they are incompetent or assholes when i meet them... then just aren't as informed. they all have he ability, just aren't informed enough about the product... and well, most dealership mechanics are not enthusiasts nor are they specialized watercraft mechanics... alot of places ur getting dirtbike and quad and motorcycle mechanics sticking their hands in a ski... and quite frankly, they probably dont get paid enough money to give a shit either in this industry, so they dont care to go out of their way and do something special or outside the book

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information