Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genesis I diagnostic assistance requested

Can you guys help a friend of mine? He has a Genesis I and the engine will run only while the start button is depressed. When you release the button... No more fun!! Rather than me bang my head for a while, I figured Bernie, Desperado, Four stroker, etc could solve it for him?

My first guess would be to troubleshoot the charging circuit, then advance to the LR and determine its sending signal to the ECU?

Thanks,
    Randy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have the Genesis i at your place?

What model year?
    Service history?

+1
    Short across the starter solenoid cables and see if it starts then .Don't touch the start stop switch while you do it .
    LR Module comes to mind
    Let us know what happens .

Bernie

Genesis

I don't have the ski here at the shop, and don't have the history.

The starter solenoid is fine, when you close the circuit by depressing the starter butto the engine runs normally.. (same as jumping the soleniod terminals)..

Thanks,
    Randy

+1
    Model year?

The wiring in Genesis FFI models changed over the years, especially 1999 (first model year for Ficht in Polaris) and the next couple of years.

+1
    There is method in my madness .It is not to check the solenoid it is to check the LR module .When the ski is not used the lr module is asleep ,but it is able to start if it gets a RPM signal but when you push the start button it then needs a rpm signal to start through a different circuit .This RPM signal is already waiting for its signal when the ski is off and dormant .It is in its ready to go mode
    I always have a coin or something with me to short across the solenoid .It is as important as the tow rope in the front
    Hope I have explained it well enough .

Bernie

Methods.

Bernie,
    I apologize, as after I posted my reply I realized I missed the obvious.. You were instructing me to have them "manually" start the engine without activating the LR.. Thanks, and I will pass on the info...

Randy

+1
    There was one year that these machines had this problem form the factory. It was caused by interference generated when the coil in the solonoid was de-energized. As a service bulletin they replaced the connector for the solonoid with one that had a diode in it. Later they started using solonoids that were made with a diode inside them. If yours does not have a diode or if the diode has failed it can cause the engine to die when the start button is released.

Shawn

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by octane972 View Post
    ...As a service bulletin they replaced the connector for the solenoid with one that had a diode in it.

Later they started using solenoids that were made with a diode inside them...
    Do you info on which part number solenoids have the diode, or another way to identify which solenoid version, or which connector version, is installed?

If the diode is connected across the coil (I presume), an ohmmeter check cannot detect it.

If the battery is connected backwards, and the start button is pressed, it will blow the diode inside the newer type Brown solenoids. If the Diode Kit is installed, it would blow that diode.

Edit: The diode update kit for the original black solenoid is part number 2874369.
    The original Black solenoids (PN 401085 are failure prone in other ways, and corrode internally. Replace with the newer Brown body solenoid 4011043, don't bother with the diode kit.
    Last edited by K447; 02-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.

if it is a unit buildt before 2003 it needs a new solinoid as stated by the one tech from texas. verything buildt after that 2003 and 2004 have it made into the solinoid. If it is a 2003 or 2004 best guess would be that some one hooked up the battery wrong and hit the start button and fried the diode. All the same replace the starter solinoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information