Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please Restore My confidence in Honda

I just purchased a 05 Honda R-12X and took it out for the first time last friday. To say the least, I was very disappointed. I previously owned a 97 seadoo xp which I liked... when it ran....Nothing but problems. That is why i went to a reliable honda. Now first off, the water was way to cold to fall off so it was mostly running straight (boring) but these are a few things i didn't like.

I'm not into going 85 mph...so i could care less about top end.. I want crazy low end. This thing doesn't seem any faster out of the hole than my old xp.
    Another thing, when you gun it from a dead stop... the ski seems like it is straving for water.... Is this an issues on these?
    Also, I loved how I could pop my xp up almost out of the water with the trim, making it much more fun. This honda is huge (but all new skis are) but still the trim i guess is setup, not to allow you to pop up like that. Is this something I can change? Can I manually addjust the cables to give more trim?

Mods: What is the best thing I can do for low end? (impeller? If so.. model? where?) any mods I do... I don't what to sacifice realiblility. I would sacrifice top end for low end though. any suggestions?

a lot of the guys on here are running macboost performance chips which will increase the power significantly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dman25 View Post
    a lot of the guys on here are running macboost performance chips which will increase the power significantly.
    Or Super Jims Alfa Kit.

+1
    Best bang for the buck is having IMPROS or Island Racing re-pitch your prop (heard it really helps low end) $75ish and doing the super jim kit, it's around $150... I'm thinking about doing all this to my 05 R-12x. They say it really wakes the ski up in the low and mid range, you'll pull a little more on top, but I've heard it makes the power more constant.

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84056
    this would be about 250 delivered..a great deal for these simple yet effective chips. I run both the alpha and a macboost and for simplicity and no tuning just get the chip. Stock grate has issues..get an RD and grind it down flush to hull. Get a solas 17/29. Then you'll have yourself a ski.

What dav said, but I also like the solas grate. You won't believe the difference these changes will make.

from my understanding the Super Jims Alfa Kit and macboost are both for increasing boost on the turbo correct? Won't that only add top end because of the turbo lag? also how does that affect realiablility in the future?
    The impeller change sounds good to me. I want to keep my stock one so i can either purchase another stock (found one on ebay $70) and repitch it or purchase a new one. Is it best to buy a new one? What is the best brand and pitch to get? I want the most low end (even if it takes 10mph off top end).
    I read alot of other posts about the aftermarket intake grates making no difference at all. (Is this worth it?) do you think I make have air leak cause cavitation?
    Do they make something that re-angles the jet? I want to be able to pop up out of the water more from dead stop... it seems to flat and boring... I'm not trying to race it, just have fun

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe42pc View Post
    from my understanding the Super Jims Alfa Kit and macboost are both for increasing boost on the turbo correct? Won't that only add top end because of the turbo lag? also how does that affect realiablility in the future?
    The impeller change sounds good to me. I want to keep my stock one so i can either purchase another stock (found one on ebay $70) and repitch it or purchase a new one. Is it best to buy a new one? What is the best brand and pitch to get? I want the most low end (even if it takes 10mph off top end).
    I read alot of other posts about the aftermarket intake grates making no difference at all. (Is this worth it?) do you think I make have air leak cause cavitation?
    Do they make something that re-angles the jet? I want to be able to pop up out of the water more from dead stop... it seems to flat and boring... I'm not trying to race it, just have fun
    The least expensive mods will be a Macsboost 5 degree pump wedge ($110) and the Jim's Alfa Kit ($150+). Jim's Alfa kit is a manual boost control valve (and related items), and increases low & mid range power by increasing boost, and reducing turbo lag. The stock impeller is best for top end speed, but will have cavitation on hole shot launches. Cavitation can be reduced by modifying the stock intake grate; remove 2 & 4 bars or the 1, 3, 5 bar.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    gabe42pc

Here's the deal.

Just buy the Solas 17/29 and start there, You bought a turbo ski soo yes you are correct the turbo/psi mods will Not change your instance off/on throttle response. forget the boost mods for now.

Best to prop it first, repitch to suite your hole shot and go from there. The R12x is known to cavitate extremely in stock form on the hole shot. Its even worse as you get to 35-50 MPH im the chop.

Work on improving the intake grate and ride plate and forget adding any "wedge" to the stock setup till you get a clear path on your base setup.

Shawn

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe42pc View Post
    Another thing, when you gun it from a dead stop... the ski seems like it is straving for water.... Is this an issues on these?
    Yep it's pretty typical Gabe, cavitation and turbo lag are no fun.
    Listen to Nitro and Tommy they will help you get it sorted out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information