Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Best PFD for PWC

Looking to purchase a new PFD wanted to get some opinions.

I am about to purchase a swift water PFD Force 6 PFD Shawn let me use it last weekend, and its a GREAT PFD. Might be "overkill" but not when riding offshore.
    I'd make sure you get one that is a Type III, and will float you head up. Some of the PFD are for wake boarders, and wont do you any good if you knock your head on something, and float face down. Shawn will chime in in a few hours, she's out playing in the surf!

+1
    First of all, what type of riding ar you doing?
    Winter, summer?
    What kind of activities, wakeboarding or touring?
    Are you riding lake, river, surf?

I like the Force 6 from Mustang Survival. I chose that lifejacket for a reason, but these kind of purchases are very personal to the user. Most people scrimp on buying a lifejacket due to costs, for me I put my life value into that, the construction, the type of riding I'm going to be doing..so one needs to match the other...

I would say no matter what you buy get a 100MPH impact rated lifejacket. Not that it protects you from injury but the integrity of the lifejacket' wont' be compromised on impact, zippers, buckles won't blow open...

Banned User
    +1

Thanks for the info. I agree with you on the importance of your PFD. I was looking for more of a vest for pleasure riding on small inland lake. I sometimes ride on Lake Michigan which would have some cold water survival concerns. Also for Shawn I have been trying to find the course description for your swiftwater course? Could not get the link to open on your K38 site. Thanks

+1
    Heya Rich, thanks. We have the dates for the swiftwater class for June 3-5th, Kings River, CA. The registration isn't up yet for students. Still finalizing the classroom location, then we'll have the logistics down and campground arrangements. This class usually is a 'camp on site' course.

Pleasure riding lifejackets, Slippery When Wet and Jet Pilot, Quakeysense all make similar types of Type III lifejackets that are more in line for personal preferences on style and branding. I'm not trying to sell anyone in particular as the best thing is to go to a dealership and try on what they have for fit and style and see what you like. Some people cruise over to Overton's and buy online. I am personally particular about what I wear because of my background experience and comfort, but most importantly floatation and impact...

Will have to pass this year if thats your only date for 2009. Will be with the family in Disney World.

Shawn I was looking at the photos of your 2008 swiftwater class. What class rapid were you training in ? Thanks Jeff

+1

These two above are training the DC Metro Police at the Great Falls Park on the Potomac..

This one is the American River just about the Chili Bar (CA)

This one is the Kings River below Pine Flat Dam (CA)

In Cali we need good snow melt to have the kind of water I want to train on. I went 3 years without teaching a swiftwater class in California because I couldn't teach to the level I prefer, so no training. I'm hoping we get some more snow pack in the Sierras right now so we'll have some classes in May/June...
    Last edited by Skips313; 04-09-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information