Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Keeping Ski On The Water (need advice)

Hi Everyone,

For the last two summers my neighbour has kept his 2004 RXP tied to a bouy on a fresh water lake, he probably rode it every 4-5 days. Last year it stayed afloat during one of the Okanagan's worst storms, (4-5 foot swells). I recently purchased it and wish to keep it on a bouy since it is a major hassle to pull it out of the water. I have used hose clamps for the bailer tubes in hopes to make sure it does not sink , the only difference is that it may sit idle for 2-3 weeks at a time. Will this be ok or did my neighbour just get lucky? The lake is mostly calm but can kick up 2-3 swells from time to time.

Thanks for your help,

Danny
    Last edited by Center87; 02-11-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: make title bold

Whats your beach like? If it is a cottage style place, I know a lot of people who use like a quad or 4 wheel type thing to pull skis out of the lake on trailers, very easy. If you have something like that I would personally suggest doing that rather then keeping it in the water, especially if you know you won't use it for a while.

+1
    Thanks Phil, but unfortunately it is a rocky beach with an incline which would not allow for a quad.

+1
    get something to keep the ski out of the water.
    build a ramp and use a winch to pull it up.
    it could be 10-15 ft long of necessary.
    get one of the cantilever type lifts, get a floating dock and anchor that instead. sportport or ezport3.
    dont leave the ski floating that long, just askin for trouble.
    if you think you are gettin into the watersports, find a long term solution. floating swim platform with pwc dock, fixed dock system, ramp, etc.

+1
    Well, you could just keep it in the water when you think your going to be using it most. Then you could take if out if you know your not going to be using it for a few weeks. Also, you might want to consider a bilge pump....

I would be worried about coming back and finding a bouy marking the spot where my ski is sitting on the bottom. Even with bildge pump it will eventually sink if something goes wrong, battery will die. can you put a couple of post in and attach one of those floating dock things that you drive the ski up on?

+1
    Hi GTXX,

I do have a dock with a boat and lift already , I guess I was just hoping for some reassurance from members indicating that they can withstand this type of enviorment. I did not want to get into another deal, having two new toddlers your time just disappears,( boat launch is 25min away and wife isnt always available to drive), so I thought there might be other members that do do this.

Thanks
    Danny

Keep this in mind. When you use the ski the engine will get hot. After using it condensation will build up in the engine bay and may cause corrosion problems if not let to cool and air out. I'm curious to know what the engine looks like since the last guy just tied it up after use. You should find a way to vent the engine bay to get rid of the heat after riding to prevent condensation in there.

+1
    if you have a dock then take a look at www.airdock.com . they have pwc lift for under $1000. I might get one for my sportster 150.

+1
    if you have a dock, with lift. either have teh lift modified to suppor tthe boat and ski.
    or easier is to get an independent lift for the ski, they make nice units that can be attached toa single piling and swivel.
    electric type or crank type.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information