Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Angler Boats?

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Angler Boats?

Guys, I have been presented the opportunity of buying an old 19' Angler boat. It is a 1988 with a 1996 Mercury outboard 125hp engine. I have search the web and it seems there are mixed reviews. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. I've inspected it, no hull damage or anything. It just needs a wash and wax. I am taking it out on the water with the owner tomorrow. He has been my car mechanic for years so I trust him. Price is $2,500 with trailer. Which needs new tires by the way. Cant seem to find the same boat online, but similar Anglers are selling for $4,000+. It also includes the Garmin GPS which as fish finder and depth finder. Some other miscellaneous items like life jackets, anchor, buoys, floaters...etc...

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

Looks clean,if it runs good i think its a good deal, btw Angler boats are here in Miami.

+1
    Have a good look around where the motor is supported for stress cracks. And if your trailering this boat always use an engine support.

+1
    Geo it look like a decent fishing boat, but seeing it's that old, you might want to pay a certified marine inspector a few bucks to really check it out. Those guys are good at finding hidden problems, patched hulls, etc. "Caveat Emptor,"... after buying a few myself over the years, I can tell you an old used boat can easily turn out to be a hole in the water where all your money disappears.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    My brother and I own a 1999 Angler 22 ft with a 2003 225 Mercury Optimax. Its a great boat FOR THE MONEY. Ofcourse there will always be something better but this has been a solid hull for us. I love the boat! The gelcoat is beautiful still and very white, it still looks new. My neighbor has a newer boat and his is starting to yellow. We redid most of the electronics on the boat. I recommend you get a good depth gauge if you pick it up and stick with Garmin GPS. For the $ that looks like a great buy!

+1
    get a marine survey and make shore they check the hull for water intrusion.alot of the older boats also have fiber glass fuel tanks wich react poorly to etnenol blended fuel.the stringers are most important that they are dry and intact if they are rotten or water logged walk away.it usually costs more to fix this condition than the boat is worth.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Have a good look around where the motor is supported for stress cracks. And if your trailering this boat always use an engine support.
    I did check the transom for stress crack around the engine and there seems to be none.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    after buying a few myself over the years, I can tell you an old used boat can easily turn out to be a hole in the water where all your money disappears.

Sort of like the hole in the pocket modding skis produce? LOL!

+1
    Thanks for the advise. I will keep you posted on how it runs tonight...

+1
    I kept the boat. Ran pretty good and had a good time. No mayor problems. The trim for the motor needs to be fixed, he has everything for it and will do it. The reverse needs to be adjusted, he will do it also. Compression was 140/125/120/130.

I power washed it and began waxing today. Big mission. Got some new tires for the trailer and tomorrow I will get the hubs and leaf springs and the trailer will be in tip top condition then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information