Carbon Seal gone bad?

Can anyone diagnose the symptoms of a bad carbon seal? My starboard pump started caviating mid season last year and had a hard time breaking 54MPH. Typically, I'm at 57/58 at WOT. My last ride of the season, I took on alot of water in the bildge. Actual, it looked like someone sprayed the whole engine compartment with a hose. Even on choppy days, the bildge usually stays dry. I'm starting to think its the seal. I ened up buying the BEST Warranty so if its the seal, I hope its covered.

+1
    what year and model do you own? Id also check to make sure the bailer tubes havent come off and check wear rings as well.

05 Speedster 200 370HP. I plan on swapping out wear rings, but I'm not sure that they would contribute to alot of water in the bildge.

+1
    They wont. But a worn wear ring will cause cavitation.With the boat not running you can fill the hull with water not to much though just enough to see if water leaks out the bottom of the boat where the driveshaft goes. I had water getting in my boat ended up being a leaking rub rail and bailer line came off the pump.

Good idea, I'll do it on the trailer once it warms up. Looking at the schematic, it looks like it have to take the pump off to get to the carbon seals. Might as well do the whole job with new rings. I need to see if the stainless steel rings will fit on my pumps.

+1
    Ya just fill it till the water is just over the drive shaft. Also i wouldnt go with SS wear rings. Just stick with the plastic ones there cheap and wont where out your impellers. If you change the wear ring's your self it wont be much more then $60. Only time id use SS rings would be for heavy modded motors.

ss rings

we run thru alot of shallow water, sometime in 1ft deep at WOT so I figured going with SS rings well help the wear down. I had a Yamaha Exciter 270 before my S200 and it never had any cavitation issues and we ran the hell out of the pumps.

I have the service manual and looking at it, the ring swap doesnt look to hard. Have you ever done it before?

Thread Information