Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Banned in the USA: 50-110 cc Motorcycles

Well, it's hard to believe, but our amazing government actually put a ban on selling motorcycles and ATVs to any minor under the age of 12.
    Why? Because they contain more then the allowed amount of lead, zinc, copper, etc in the motorcycle (the chain, engine cases, frame etc).

This ban was put in place to stop toy companies from using lead paint but the geniuses in DC included our market for some reason. I don't think kids will be chewing on their chains....

That means that they are making all the OEMs (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc) pull all their youth oriented dirt bikes and quads from dealerships as of YESTERDAY. In the USA, you cannot buy a xr50, 70, 100, klx110, etc etc...Even if for yourself, It's just not limited to that, you can't buy parts or aftermarket parts for these bikes either...those also got pulled.

This is also going to affect everyone in our little industry. If companies can't sell youth products (goggles, gear, graphics, chains, sprockets, bars, etc) it's going to put a huge strain on them.

The economy is bad enough; we really don't need to worry about our jobs even more with this.

What you can do:

Go here - http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1/2382...cycle-Article/
    Lead-Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

There is more info, but more importantly you can electronically send a letter to the government. On the right side of the page there are instructions on how to. All you have to do is copy and paste the text
    into the electronic form. It will probably take you less time then reading this e-mail, so please do so.

I called Motorworld in El Cajon today and guess what....? Every size Motorcycle listed( 50-110 cc bikes) has been pulled from the show room floor. They are no longer available for sell in the UNITED STATES Of AMERICA.
    You have got to be PHUCKING kidding me.
    This Country is going to hell people, wake up.

The 110cc bikes will get new signage stating they are built for children 13 years or older . The status of the smaller 50-70 cc bikes is up in the air right now (looking for a loop-hole or some type of exemption from the law) because they are obviously built for smaller children.

Please never ever vote for a Democrat again. This isn't because of Obama, but the liberal mentality he and his ilk (comrades) have is going to kill our Country.

Call your local dealer and ask I'd like to hear how long they think it will take to resolve this. Motor-World and Alba thought the stickers on the bigger bikes would just take a few weeks. They have no ideal (at least the guys I talked to) about the 70-110cc bikes. That will take much longer to resolve.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by getreal View Post
    Well, it's hard to believe, but our amazing government actually put a ban on selling motorcycles and ATVs to any minor under the age of 12.
    Why? Because they contain more then the allowed amount of lead, zinc, copper, etc in the motorcycle (the chain, engine cases, frame etc).

This ban was put in place to stop toy companies from using lead paint but the geniuses in DC included our market for some reason. I don't think kids will be chewing on their chains....

That means that they are making all the OEMs (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc) pull all their youth oriented dirt bikes and quads from dealerships as of YESTERDAY. In the USA, you cannot buy a xr50, 70, 100, klx110, etc etc...Even if for yourself, It's just not limited to that, you can't buy parts or aftermarket parts for these bikes either...those also got pulled.

This is also going to affect everyone in our little industry. If companies can't sell youth products (goggles, gear, graphics, chains, sprockets, bars, etc) it's going to put a huge strain on them.

The economy is bad enough; we really don't need to worry about our jobs even more with this.

What you can do:

Go here - http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1/2382...cycle-Article/
    Lead-Ban-Stops-Youth-ATV-and-Motorcycle-Sales.aspx

There is more info, but more importantly you can electronically send a letter to the government. On the right side of the page there are instructions on how to. All you have to do is copy and paste the text
    into the electronic form. It will probably take you less time then reading this e-mail, so please do so.

I called Motorworld in El Cajon today and guess what....? Every size Motorcycle listed( 50-110 cc bikes) has been pulled from the show room floor. They are no longer available for sell in the UNITED STATES Of AMERICA.
    You have got to be PHUCKING kidding me.
    This Country is going to hell people, wake up.

The 110cc bikes will get new signage stating they are built for children 13 years or older . The status of the smaller 50-70 cc bikes is up in the air right now (looking for a loop-hole or some type of exemption from the law) because they are obviously built for smaller children.

Please never ever vote for a Democrat again. This isn't because of Obama, but the liberal mentality he and his ilk (comrades) have is going to kill our Country.

Call your local dealer and ask I'd like to hear how long they think it will take to resolve this. Motor-World and Alba thought the stickers on the bigger bikes would just take a few weeks. They have no ideal (at least the guys I talked to) about the 70-110cc bikes. That will take much longer to resolve.
    alot of this was caused by all the chineese cheap knock offs like u see at pep boys cheap materials unsafe and un smoged just some of the reasons

Banned User
    +1
    Heads up on anything 2-stroke, such as snow blowers / chain saws / leaf blowers......No more sales of them after 2010....Emission laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Heads up on anything 2-stroke, such as snow blowers / chain saws / leaf blowers......No more sales of them after 2010....Emission laws.
    I really hate the EPA

Im starting to think that American politicians...ALL of them, are just flat out retarded. They are in no WAY trying to fix our economy by pulling bullsh!t moves like this.

This also affects bicycles with hand brakes, as the brake cables have over-the-limit lead content!!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yesterday, a law went into effect prohibiting the sale of minicycles to children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). This law, which arguably applies to both motorcycles and ATVs, treats any children's product that contains more lead than the limit established by law as a banned hazardous substance.

We have already begun to experience the devastating consequences of this new legislation upon our sport, as OEMs have already pulled these machines from their showroom floors. Youth racing is the foundation of our sport. That is when most of you fell in love with motorcycles in the first place, only to grow up to bring your own kids back to the racetracks. Only now, they can't ride.

On behalf of MX Sports (Loretta Lynn's), Racer Productions (GNCC), and ATVPG (ATV Amateur Nationals), we are extremely concerned with the short- and long-range effects of this new legislation, as the first rounds in all of our various series are less than two weeks away, and all include classes for youth racers under the age of 13. But it's not just our events - WORCS, NMA, Mini Os, SETRA, etc., are all adversely impacted.

It is our opinion that the new law is inapplicable to off-highway motorsports, as neither motorcycles nor ATVs have the potential for ingestion, and lead from motorcycles is not likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream or present a health hazard. Let's face it - when was the last time someone swallowed a motorcycle? Any other interpretation would be silly. Be that as it may, the law will continue to adversely affect our industry unless and until an exemption is granted.

Presently, there is a petition for an immediate temporary exemption pending before the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) on behalf of the OEMs, distributors, and industry associations. This petition, if granted, would enable our industry to move forward this racing season while the applicability of the law to the off-highway industry is determined.

What can you do?

A form letter for submission to the CPSC in support of the petition for exemption is available here as prepared by the MIC. The letter will also be available this weekend at the Indy tradeshow. Simply print out one copy for each person in your family and submit it ASAP. In the meantime, AMA is preparing a letter for submission by its membership to the CPSC. Be on the lookout for that one as well.

Also, an electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his website at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

What else can you do?

Contact your congressmen and senators; let them know that this legislation will have the unintended consequences of crippling an entire industry. Surely, it could not have been the spirit or intent of the new law to apply to motorcycles or bicycles (which apparently have lead in the brake cables).

Time is of the essence. The very future of our sport and of our industry depends on this. We must support the pending petition before the commencement of the national racing season.

+1
    Good info, but link only comes up with some "error page" info.

The Dem's are a great bunch, aren't they?

+1
    Absophuckinglutely ridiculous. This is the kind of chit that makes my blood pressure go up........

This is just like the "global warming" scam, it's a complete non-issue blown up for political reasons. I spent years repairing cars with lead bars, melting, shaping, grinding, filing and sanding it. I'm still here

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Absophuckinglutely ridiculous. This is the kind of chit that makes my blood pressure go up........
    I couldn't of said it better myself. +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information