Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Virage fuel pump problems...

I just bought a pair of 2002 Virage 3-cyinder fuel injected jet skis that need work. With both skis, the fuel pump doesn't come on when I try to start the ski. I've unplugged the harness and put 12v power directly to the fuel pumps and they do work. I've also tested the wiring going to the fuel pumps and found there is 12v to the pumps when the harness is unplugged. I put my multi-meter leads in through the back of the wiring harness and see 12 volts, but as soon as I plug in the harness the power drops to zero. I'm not sure where to go from here. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, Chris

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by christical View Post
    I just bought a pair of 2002 Virage 3-cylinder fuel injected jet skis that need work. With both skis, the fuel pump doesn't come on when I try to start the ski.

I've unplugged the harness and put 12v power directly to the fuel pumps and they do work. I've also tested the wiring going to the fuel pumps and found there is 12v to the pumps when the harness is unplugged.

I put my multi-meter leads in through the back of the wiring harness and see 12 volts, but as soon as I plug in the harness the power drops to zero...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

You can find the 2002 Polaris Service Manual here.
    There are a number of diagnostics outlined in the manual.

The fuel pump is controlled by the Ficht EMM. The EMM detects that the engine is rotating via signals from the CPS (Crank Position Sensor), and AC power from the stator coils (energized by the rotating flywheel magnets).

The now awake EMM grounds the Brown wire to the fuel pump. The other side of the fuel pump is powered by 12 volts through a circuit breaker, so the fuel pump turns on. A short time later, the EMM starts firing the fuel injectors and spark plugs.

When you crank the engine with the starter, does the MFI display wake up from sleep mode?
    If yes, then the EMM is probably also awake.

If you ground the Brown wire (with the fuel pump hooked up normally), does the fuel pump run?

If yes, then the problem is the EMM is not grounding the Brown wire when the engine cranks. Confirm that the EMM has 12 volt power (different circuit breaker), and is properly grounded.

IIRC, the EMM does not directly know that the starter button is pressed. It only watches for the CPS and stator coil signals to wake up the EMM, and then turns on the fuel pump.

BTW, normally it is better to start a separate thread for a new problem, rather than redirect a thread discussing someone else's machine. A moderator may move this to a new thread.

I appreciate your help so much! I'm new to this site, so thank you for helping me with this problem. I'll check it out in and let you know what I find. Hopefully there's a simple fix. Thanks, Chris

+1
    Hi Chris,Welcome to Green Hulk.
    The service manual says you should have constant 12v battery power at the Red/White wire at the fuel pump.This wire runs directly to one of the 15amp circuit breakers,the CB gets power directly from a connection with the battery cable at the starter solenoid terminal.

I've seen your condition on cars with a bad connection or corroded wire,it will show 12v with a multimeter(when unplugged),but with any load (even a test light) the 12v goes away.

Thanks, I've been trying to diagnosis it all day, but I'm honestly not sure where some things are in the hull... I've always worked on seadoos. Are the 2 circuit breakers inside the small black box right near the battery? There are 2 "reset" buttons on the top? Thanks again, Chris

+1
    Thanks, I've been trying to diagnosis it all day, but I'm honestly not sure where some things are in the hull... I've always worked on seadoos.

Are the 2 circuit breakers inside the small black box right near the battery? There are 2 "reset" buttons on the top? Thanks again, Chris
    The Reset buttons are the circuit breakers.

Yes!!! That was the problem, lol. I swapped out fuel pumps and computers, and it was just a bad 15 amp relay. Thank you so much!!!

+1
    ...it was just a bad 15 amp relay...
    Was it the circuit breaker, or a relay?

LOL, I mean the 15amp circuit breaker. I pulled the CB box out of my other ski, but now I need to replace it.... Do you have one for sale?

+1
    LOL, I mean the 15amp circuit breaker. I pulled the CB box out of my other ski, but now I need to replace it.... Do you have one for sale?

Check with Randy at Watcon
    www.watcon.com give him a call he has alot more stuff then his website list 1 360 692 3492

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information