ELKO Pistons for Polaris SLT700

Bought piston replacments for SLT700 off Ebay. I received two different pistons; one has the top rings with a ridge on top while the other has both flat rings. The numbers on the ELKO pistons are also different. The old pistons had the rings with the ridge on the top ring. These came with new cylinder heads and the pistons were already installed. The pistons seem to fit the heads well, but it worries me that they are not the same pistons and rings. Any idea if it will make a difference? I guess as long as they both seal they will be okay...

+1
    I think they call the factory Polaris rings am "L" design.I read somewhere that the pressure forces the ring tighter against the cylinder.I beleive the piston has a relief for that L shape. Does the other piston have that releif?

The numbers stamped into the top is usually the piston size.What are the numbers?

I'm not an engine builder,but I would not mix 2 piston designs.Will the seller send the correct design piston?

Okay, I presume the numbers on the pistons you are referencing are these: on the piston with the lip or "L", it has 80.89 with a "1" under it. The other piston has a AB at the top with 80.86 under it. (The factory piston had the same markings as the "L" piston except a 2 under the numbers instead or a 1. It also seems the piston without the lip is slightly taller. Also, my factory piston has a round hole in the side whereas these others do not. Any special reason for the hole?

There have been at least 3 different piston revisions used in the 700/1050 motors. The latest one has the "L" shaped top ring, with no hole in the side. You need to be sure that you use two like pistons (its ok if one is an oversize, as long as your bore is clearanced correctly). The different ring setups change the port timing of the motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by QUESTBLDR View Post
    Okay, I presume the numbers on the pistons you are referencing are these: on the piston with the lip or "L", it has 80.89 with a "1" under it. The other piston has a AB at the top with 80.86 under it. (The factory piston had the same markings as the "L" piston except a 2 under the numbers instead or a 1. It also seems the piston without the lip is slightly taller. Also, my factory piston has a round hole in the side whereas these others do not. Any special reason for the hole?
    The 80.89 # is the size of the piston.This one would be standard size.
    I was hoping the # would give a clue what the other piston was from,I'm guessing a snowmobile.In my opinion,I wouldn't use it.Make sure to measure your cylinders to make sure you get the correct pistons,81mm is standard.

My understanding is the hole in the side was to help cool the piston top with a small blast of air/fuel,it will match up to a hole in the cylinder wall,used in 96-97-some 98.They say with/without the hole makes little to no difference,as long as you use 2 of the same.As with any engine work ,you should verify correct fuel mixture when you get it running.

Thanks to all. I have new cylinders for these so I will be going std. pistons. I think I will can the odd ball piston and go with a match for the "L" ring piston.

Thread Information